SCD-40 fried

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hungtruong

SCD-40 fried

Post by hungtruong »

I've purchased multiple of these co2 sensors in the past. I connected one to an ESP32 and successfully set up esphome on it, with all of the reading coming into home assistant when it was connected to my computer.

When I relocated the device and connected it to a different usb cable and power supply, I started hearing noises coming from either the SCD-40 or the esp32 and the SCD-40 started smoking. Unfortunately I don't think I got to it in time because once I reconnected it, I'm getting i2c bus errors.

I was wondering 1. What I could have done wrong and 2. if there's a way for me to get a replacement.

Thanks!

bidrohini

Re: SCD-40 fried

Post by bidrohini »

I was wondering if the power supply was bad. Anyway, you may get a replacement if your product is still within the warranty period. Let's see what you hear from the adafruit team.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post a photo of your setup showing how everything is connected.
When I relocated the device and connected it to a different usb cable and power supply
What is the power supply that was used here?

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

Hi,
I disconnected the headers due to the smoking, but the device was wired up based on the guide for the product. I think the VIN was wired to 5v instead of 3.3v but I read that the device could take either, and it worked fine when I had it connected to my usb cable to the computer. I noticed that one of the components is puffed up (the one up and to the left of the vin header)
IMG_2064.JPEG
IMG_2064.JPEG (620.7 KiB) Viewed 197 times
I used a generic USB ac adapter, but I'll probably throw it out to be safe. Interestingly, the esp32 microcontroller has not been damaged, only the SCD-40 was.
IMG_2063.JPEG
IMG_2063.JPEG (488.34 KiB) Viewed 197 times
How can I get a replacement unit? It seems that maybe the voltage regulator failed?

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. That power supply seems fine. And it does appear like the voltage regulator is bulged.

What all changed when it was relocated? It was working. Then it was relocated and the issue occurred. Was wiring disconnected / reconnected as part of the move?

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

Nothing really changed. I just removed the device from the computer usb cord, took it downstairs, plugged it into the usb charger. I heard some noises and when I looked at the sensor it started smoking.

adafruit_support_carter

Do you have photos of the original setup? Or can you recreate it and post photos of how everything was connected. It sounds like something got shorted after the moving.

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

If the issue was with the voltage regulator, does that mean I can request a replacement? I have two other identical units that I've set up that have been working flawlessly. Something went wrong with this one and I just want to get a new one so I can set it up. If you can't provide a replacement then just let me know. Thanks.

adafruit_support_carter

It was originally working. So we're trying to figure out what happened to make it not work. If there were loose wires in the setup that could have been shorted when it was relocated, that could explain it. So seeing the actual setup would help determine this.

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

When I ask for customer service I’m usually not interrogated about how a product failed. I usually just receive a replacement. Are you trying to figure out if the failure is my fault to deny me a replacement part? That’s the part I don’t understand. I would like a replacement part for this one that failed. If you can’t provide one in this instance then just tell me. Putting the onus on the customer to provide all of these pictures and proof that I’m telling you the truth is hostile. I asked for a replacement days ago and I feel like I’m just jumping through hoops for you now.

I don't understand why some support requests on this forum are handled with a quick replacement, while this one is dragging on for more than a week. At the end of the day, does it matter whether it was a user error or a component error? If you said the voltage regulator failed, I can try again by plugging it into 3v so it doesn't blow up.

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

This is how things were set up (I think)
Attachments
IMG_2096.JPEG
IMG_2096.JPEG (560.59 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_2095.JPEG
IMG_2095.JPEG (443.4 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_2092.JPEG
IMG_2092.JPEG (599.83 KiB) Viewed 134 times

adafruit_support_carter

We can send a replacement this time. However, simply moving the setup should not have caused the breakout to blue smoke. Something in your setup got shorted when it was moved. If this happens again, we will not replace a second time.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement SCD-40.

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

Got my replacement and wired it up. Works fine. I did end up using a different usb power adapter and cord in case those had contributed to the issue initially (those things along with the 3v vs 5v were the only differences). Thanks for the replacement!

dpuerto

Post by dpuerto »

hungtruong wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:06 pm Nothing really changed. I just removed the device from the computer usb cord, took it downstairs, plugged it into the usb charger. I heard some noises and when I looked at the sensor it started smoking.
Hmm... so how exactly did you make it smoke by looking at it? I've been trying this for years :)

In all seriousness though, what was the root cause? I am concerned because I want to run these in my living space and I can't afford to die or be burned badly

hungtruong

Post by hungtruong »

I'm not sure what the root cause was, probably that I had it hooked to 5v and the voltage regulator died. If it makes you feel better I have three of these running in my house, for longer than 6 months and they've been fine aside from the one that smoked.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”