QT PY ESP32-S2 Tool Compatibility

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sfred

QT PY ESP32-S2 Tool Compatibility

Post by sfred »

I just received a QT PT ESP32-S2 board and am trying to get familiar with the tools that are available. I wanted to use the ESP-IDF framework, but have been unable to successfully get it to work.

Using PlatformIO, I have been able to get Arduino-based projects to build, upload, and boot just fine. However, when I tried to do the same with the "esp-idf hello world" example project I was only able to build and flash. When I reset the board after flashing, the COM port disappears and does not reconnect. I can get the COM port back by putting the board into "manual bootloader" mode.

Knowing the bootloaders are different between the Arduino and ESP-IDF projects, I tried erasing the flash before programming, but this did not work either.

I added this

Code: Select all

[env:adafruit_qtpy_esp32s2]
platform = espressif32
board = adafruit_qtpy_esp32s2
framework = espidf
to the

platformio.ini
file and ran the build/upload commands using the

pio run -e adafruit_qtpy_esp32s3 --target upload
command to make sure the right board was being selected.

Does anyone have any experience getting the QT PY ESP32-S2 working via ESP-IDF (either standalone or via PlatformIO)?

sfred

Re: QT PY ESP32-S2 Tool Compatibility

Post by sfred »

I cross posted this on the PlatformIO forums and got a successful answer there: https://community.platformio.org/t/qt-p ... no/31016/3. By default the PlatformIO and ESP-IDF configs do not set the USB-CDC option which the QT PY ESP32-S2 uses as it's serial output.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”