Trinket M0 switches com port when i try uploading a sketch

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
laser_mike

Trinket M0 switches com port when i try uploading a sketch

Post by laser_mike »

I have the Trinket M0 and trying to use Arduino IDE with it.
Arduino M0 Pro (Native USB Port) board is selected and com9 is the port its supposedly using. For some reason it just hangs there saying that its uploading and I have to press the reset button to force it to fail at which time the port changes from com 9 to com 10. I then double press reset button to enter bootloader mode again but it just keeps doing the same thing. It works fine with the MU editor but I personally do not like using python for low level programming nor do I know the language syntax and don't have the time to learn it, C code is easier for me personally.

The code.py automatically executes and if I delete it the IDE still wont program this thing.
is there some special bootloader I don't know about ? or what am I doing wrong can someone please assist me.

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided, if I cant get it to work the stupid Trinket is going in the junk bin.

Franklin97355

Re: Trinket M0 switches com port when i try uploading a sketch

Post by Franklin97355 »

The M0 processor and Windows do not play well together. This is what I think is happening but I'm just guessing. When the processor starts to program it changes the USB port identity and windows sees that and assigns a new instance.

laser_mike

Re: Trinket M0 switches com port when i try uploading a sketch

Post by laser_mike »

I even tried what another user did by changing the usb Device settings under the advanced tab and forced it to be com10 even though windows warned that it was in use.
Something definitely strange going on with windows 10 and I didn’t bother to try Windows 11 on my other system assuming it would be the same.
Would be nice if Adafruit Industries would review their outdated documentation that walks you through setting up the trinket for use with Arduino IDE but it’s not worth their time being this is not a wildly popular product.

Thanks for the reply..
I will try a couple more things before totally giving up and buying something newer that doesn’t also work with circuitpython or micropython and more specific to Arduino and C/C++ compiler.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”