Can't get CPX enclosure to close

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alanglasser

Can't get CPX enclosure to close

Post by alanglasser »

I have two CPX's and two enclosures. While it was challenging, I was able to get the first enclosure on and fully closed all around. The second not so good.
I've posted two short videos
( https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctjwjqz72ggib ... 5.MOV?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmaqdop8yczb9 ... 7.MOV?dl=0 )
that show that the enclosure now no longer closes all around without a CPX present.
I see no broken pieces of plastic.
I am loath to open my other, successfully closed enclosure to compare, as I suspect it will be challenging, to say the least, to get it closed all around.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong or any workarounds.
Thank you.

dastels

Re: Can't get CPX enclosure to close

Post by dastels »

There are 4 pins that hold it closed. Are they lined up with the 4 matching holes? Is the two halves of the case lined up. I.e. the USB and battery openings?

Dave

alanglasser

Post by alanglasser »

I see the 4 pins on the bottom half and the four holes on the top half. With the top half aligned so that the word “adafruit” is away from me and the slide switch lever is close to me and the bottom half aligned so that the adafruit ligo is away from me and the word “ADAFRUIT” is close to me, the pins are located (1) between A2 & A3, (2) between A1 & ~A0, (3) between RXA6 & TXA7 and (4) between SCLA4 & SDAA5.

Pleas confirm that all is aligned properly.

The pin between SCLA4 & SDAA5 is not seating. The part next to that, between SCLA4 and GND is up also, perhaps blocking closure. The part on the other side, between SDAA5 and 3.3V is also up. The meaining parts on that side are up, but less so. The entire other side (from V OUT to 3.3V & D13) is seated properly.

dastels

Post by dastels »

It will only clip together in one orientation. You have it aligned correctly. Double check that the pins are lined up with the holes. There's nothing in the design that should be getting in the way if the pins and holes are lined up.

Dave

alanglasser

Post by alanglasser »

After some careful examination, I determined that the flat protrusion between GND and SCL A4 was longer by almost 1mm than the other flat pieces and that there was a scoring mark (probably part of the manufacturing process) just about 1mm from the end. I cut off the extra, just under 1mm piece with an Xacto knife and, voila, everything fits and closes.

I wonder if I'm the only customer experiencing trials and tribulations with the CPX enclosure (both the first and second I purchased were problematical to close up with the CPX).

dastels

Post by dastels »

Weird. I would think those are injection molded. I have a couple that were not a problem. That could possibly be an injection point that didn't get trimmed properly (cutter out of alignment?)

I'll mention this to support as something to watch for.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”