ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express with sk6812 RGBW LED Strip?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwalck

ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express with sk6812 RGBW LED Strip?

Post by dwalck »

Hi all,

I'm working on a project where I need to drive some SK6812 LED strip and I'm having trouble getting the strip to do anything at all. I'm using the ItsyBitsy nRF52840 and I've confirmed that I've got everything connected properly and ruled out anything from this troubleshooting list: https://learn.adafruit.com/make-it-glow ... leshooting. The only things left that I haven't ruled out are either software issues or a defective strip.

As far as software goes, I've installed the latest version of CircuitPython (7.3.3) and tried to run the following simplified code to see if I can get any of the pixels to light at all:

Code: Select all

import board, time, neopixel

num_pixels = 5
pixel_pin = board.D5
order = neopixel.RGBW
strip = neopixel.NeoPixel(pixel_pin, num_pixels, brightness = 0.5, auto_write = True, pixel_order = order)

while True:
    for i in range(num_pixels):
        strip[i] = (255, 0, 0 , 0)
        time.sleep(0.5)
    strip.fill((0, 0, 0, 0))
I've tried with both the .mpy and normal .py versions of the neopixel and adafruit_pixelbuf libraries, but neither seem to be doing anything. Additionally, I've tried hooking up a short strip of WS2812 LEDs that I had lying around and it runs them just fine. Is there some trick I'm missing with the SK6812's, or does it sound like it's time for me to get some new strip? Any opinions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express with sk6812 RGBW LED Strip?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post a photo of your setup showing how everything is connected.

dwalck

Re: ItsyBitsy nRF52840 Express with sk6812 RGBW LED Strip?

Post by dwalck »

Since posting this, I've contacted the seller of the SK6812 strip and described my situation to them in detail. They were happy to refund the purchase so I guess the answer to my question is that I most likely had a bad strip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”