SDR RTL2832/w R820T

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
daw9000

SDR RTL2832/w R820T

Post by daw9000 »

Hi
I bought this dongle from PiHut for xmas who ask me to contact you re support/faulty dongle.

I cannot get my windows 10 laptop to recognise or even detect this dongle. Same for our Windows 11 PC. Tried Raspberry Pi which also cannot detect USB (lsusb shows nothing). Been through tutorials on laptop and tutorial on Pi to no avail, even tried rebuilding drivers from source on Pi but no luck - rtl_test -t says no supported devices detected.

Can you please help
David Wright

adafruit_support_mike

Re: SDR RTL2832/w R820T

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That sounds like failure to enumerate, and there isn't much user-level debugging that can be done for such an issue.

Let the folks at Pi Hut know we've approved a replacement. They can contact [email protected] with a link to this page and we'll settle up with them.

daw9000

Post by daw9000 »

Hello again,

Is there a quality issue with these dongles? The replacement dongle was working fine until today. This morning apps (SDR#, RTL090 ect) were failing to recognise dongle, reloaded drivers via Zadig and it started working again … for a while. Then dongle fails and drivers needed reset. Now it just fails with unrecognised USB device and wont enumerate.

No windows updates that are messing with driver as far as I can ascertain. Out of ideas, can you help please.
Dave.

daw9000

Post by daw9000 »

Also tried in Raspberry Pi again no enumeration of dongle.

adafruit_support_mike

daw9000 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:23 pm Is there a quality issue with these dongles?
No, we rarely get reports of problems with them.

In this case, since we're working through a third party, I'm afraid I can't authorize a second replacement. I can authorize a refund since the device failed within 30 days of purchase, but since the second one worked for some time before failing, there's a reasonable chance the failures may be the result of some condition in the operating environment.

Give the folks from PiHut a link to this page, which they can use to settle up with our business team at [email protected].

daw9000

Post by daw9000 »

Thank you for your help. I will contact PiHut. On the subject of operating environment:
Is it possible leaving it running for long periods could cause issues? I am at a loss at what may have caused its failure apart from continued use (maybe heat issue), nowhere in their tutorials does it mention that they are not to be used for prolonged periods. The only other thing I can say is that it has had the antenna disconnected accidentally while in use - no warnings about this either but I could see how without protection that could cause an issue.

adafruit_support_mike

Unstable power is the most likely source of problems. If voltage spikes are getting through the USB port, it could damage an SDR module.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”