Powering multiple trinkets in a project with wall outlet

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FlackFlashback

Powering multiple trinkets in a project with wall outlet

Post by FlackFlashback »

Hello!

I have a silly question: what would be the best way to power ten adafruit trinkets that are each driving animation in ten separate strings of neopixels ranging from 3 to 82 in length, for a total of around... 450 neopixels. I was thinking of using a couple of 5 port usb hubs plugged into the powerbar that is also powering the other aspects of the device.

I think this should work but I was wondering if there is a more elegant or appropriate method of getting the power where it needs to go, and if so, (and here's my question) where would I go to educate myself so that I can at least calculate the amperage to see if it is workable, and further my power-management skills to improve my trinket-powered design.

So far I've just been building what I want, adding section after section, using USB Hubs. Now I'm about to jump from 4 trinkets/strings to 10, so I thought I would reach out and ask!

Any guidance and help is very much appreciated!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering multiple trinkets in a project with wall outlet

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

450 pixels is a pretty good size project. So you will definitely need to give some thought to how you will power it. Using our 'worst-case' estimate of 60 mA per pixel (80 mA for RGBW pixels), you would need 450 * 60 = 27000mA = 27A (36A for RGBW).

Of course that assumes all pixels running at full-intensity white. Most applications do not reach those 'worst-case' conditions. But even at 50% of worst-case, you are looking at substantially more power than your average 5-port USB hub can deliver.

For some excellent advice on efficient use of power in neopixel projects, see this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/sipping-power-with-neopixels

FlackFlashback

Re: Powering multiple trinkets in a project with wall outlet

Post by FlackFlashback »

Thank you very much! I will do that!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”