Reconnect Stemma QT

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
forum_questions_1

Reconnect Stemma QT

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Hi,
I accidentally pulled my STEMMA QT connector off a Feather V2 board. It was entirely my fault, I had it stuck into the socket tightly and I had the wire pulling on it.

I am thinking about trying to reconnect it because I liked its ease of use. I have been able to line up the 4 pins to what looks like 4 slots where they go on the board. On the other side of the connector, it looks like there are two metallic looking blocks.

I was thinking I would use my soldering iron and just try to heat up the pin area to see if the pins drop back in. I was wondering about those two blocks on the other end of the connector. Do you know if they originally held-in the connector in any way, or are they just there as stoppers? Trying to decide if I should heat those a bit as well.

Thanks!

dastels

Re: Reconnect Stemma QT

Post by dastels »

The two on the open side of the connector are generally just to secure it to the board, as the 4 connections are on the other side. Have a close look at the board to confirm that the pads/traces are still intact. Feel free to post a clear closeup there for more eyes on it.

Dave

forum_questions_1

Ok, thanks very much Dave.

I'll take a picture tonight and post it to show you.

forum_questions_1

Pictures attached. First one is not great quality, it is where I saw those raised metallic "posts". Second one shows the pins, which I can't believe I was able to line back up!
Attachments
v2 connector back.jpeg
v2 connector back.jpeg (172.06 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
V2 Connector.jpeg
V2 Connector.jpeg (303.5 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

Ah. A vertical one. Same thing. 4 contacts for (V+, gnd, SDA, SCL) and two mounting tabs on the other side.

Dave

forum_questions_1

Cool, thanks. What do you think of the solder pads? It looks to me like there is still some material there near the pins. It'll be a tight space but maybe they'll take with a little ironing?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Looks like it might be ok. It could just have been some weak solder. Worth a try!

Dave

forum_questions_1

Ok, thanks Dave. Yes, I think I'll give it a go. Thanks for your insight on the board component and what it is connected to.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”