Defective 64x64 Board? [PT2]

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darkreunion

Defective 64x64 Board? [PT2]

Post by darkreunion »

Hi all!

This was my original forum post but it got locked, so I am creating a new one
viewtopic.php?p=942301&hilit=defective+rgb#p942301

After receiving the replacement bonnet, it seems to be having the same exact behavior as the old one. I made sure to solder the new bonnet as I did with the previous one, per the guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... g-matrices

I have attached images as well showing the soldering and the resulting image of the board after running

Code: Select all

sudo ./demo -D0 --led gpio-mapping=adafruit-hat --led-cols=64 --led-rows=64 --led-slowdown-gpio=3
At this point, I personally think the LED board itself is defective on the part of the board that is only showing blue, but I am game to try doing other sorts of troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-01-05 132042.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-05 132042.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 195 times
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (188.83 KiB) Viewed 195 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Defective 64x64 Board? [PT2]

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Sorry for lagging in responding here. Wanted others to take a look at this since it's a bit of a mystery. Unfortunately, it's still a mystery. Let's replace the matrix next. Then you'll have two copies of each, 2xmatrix and 2xbonnets. Please add some kind of label to these so we can keep track of them - like matrix 1 / bonnet 1 for the original hardware, bonnet 2 for the replaced bonnet, and matrix 2 when you get the replacement matrix. Please label the ribbon cables that came with the matrix also. That'll help if we need to do additional troubleshooting to determine if it's the bonnet, matrix, or something else.

For the replacement matrix - send another email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can send you a replacement 64x64 RGB Matrix.

darkreunion

Post by darkreunion »

Sounds good! I will label them accordingly and talk to support for a new one.

Thanks!

darkreunion

Post by darkreunion »

So I received the new LED board and used the new cable and the new LED board with the new bonnet, but it still did the same thing... Is there a chance that the raspberry pi itself is broken? This is so confusing to me why this isn't working...
Attachments
unnamed1.jpg
unnamed1.jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 137 times

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

It’s possible but highly unlikely that the Pi is broken. Normally I might suggest swapping that as well for good measure, except that they’re still largely unobtanium. (Though if you have even like an old Pi 2 in a drawer or something, it would suffice for testing the theory.)

It’s also maybe possible that the LED matrix manufacturer silently switched to a different chipset. When running any of the examples, try adding this argument:

--led-panel-type=FM6126A
or

--led-panel-type=FM6127

darkreunion

Post by darkreunion »

Thanks for the response! Sadly I don't have any spare Pi's lying around (this is the first and only one I have).

I just tried both of the arguments you suggested, but it still is giving me the same problem of half the LED board lighting up only blue :(

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I’m sorry for the delay…somehow “notify me when a reply is posted” got unchecked.

Several of us are intensely stumped by this one as we discuss it offline. We continue to look at possible causes but don’t yet have a solution. If you are out of patience—and that’s understandable—we can provide a refund. In the meantime, myself or one of the other support folks will make noise when we have next steps to try.

adafruit_support_carter

This being something with the Pi is still a possibility, but no way to test unfortunately. And if it is that, then new hardware would not fix.

If it is the Bonnet/matrix hardware, we'd like to test it further back here to see if anything can be discovered. Are you located in the US?

darkreunion

Post by darkreunion »

Hi,
Yes, I'm located in the US and definitely can send back some parts to see if you can discover anything on your end.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, thanks. This will be handled by emailing [email protected] again. Link them to this post and ask them for an RMA FORPHIL to return 2x 64x64 LED Matrices and 2x Matrix Bonnets.

darkreunion

Post by darkreunion »

Okay will do!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”