circuit playground music volume issue

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zackboston

circuit playground music volume issue

Post by zackboston »

Hello!

Some of my high school engineering students are making snowglobes with the Adafruit snowglobe kits using the circuit playground express.
https://learn.adafruit.com/make-a-snowg ... v0QAvD_BwE

Everything is going great except that the volume of the music is so low it cannot be heard inside the snowglobe enclosure. The volume does not seem to get louder or softer with the volume block, which we have tried setting between 50-200.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give me. . . Susan

adafruit_support_bill

Re: circuit playground music volume issue

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The tiny on-board speaker does not have much power. And having it in a sealed space does not help.

You could try drilling some holes around the edges of the cap and adding some feet to raise it off the surface of the table. That would give a better path for the sound to get out.

The audio signal is also available on pin A0. So you could connect that to an external amplifier & speaker such as this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3885

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

Thank you! I am ordering a few of the external amplifiers you suggested. I just solder them to pin A0, Vout and ground, right?

How do I code them in MakeCode? We have all the music blocks already coded.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Should not need to change your code at all. A0 is the same signal that is currently going to the on-board speaker.

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

supercool! thank you. . . you will make the juniors at my vocational technical high school in Boston very very happy!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”