Exploring home lighting system

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
delchi

Exploring home lighting system

Post by delchi »

Greets!

I'm exploring the idea of building a home lighting system , doing it the "fun" way and DIY instead of buying a govee or some other out of the box system. I have my reasons :
- I operate in Adama Mode where possible.
- Security : you can not trust a lot of that software
- Punching holes in your firewall , granting access to the interwebs
- Vulnerable protocols
- Vulnerable code / not updated / not checked for security.

So anywho , I wanted to know if it was practical / possible to create a home lighting system using a RPi using python / circuitpython / adafruit-blinka / neopixel strips / to control a series of Feather RP2040 SCORPIO's to communicate with the LED strips.

From a practical point of view, I want to use the RPi using software I will cobble together , to control the RP2040's to change the action of the Neopixel strips attached.

Let's say the first floor of my place has a RP2040 , and off of that there are 8 strips : Kitchen, Hall, Bathroom, Living room, Doorway 1, Doorway2, office, garage

(( Side note : I'm not sure why the word 'k i t c h e n' was replaced with "BANNED" , & my post sent to a moderator, but this is a mystery of the universe ))

On the second floor of my place , another RP2040 , and off of that there are 8 strips : Bedroom1, Bedroom2, Bathroom 1, Closet, Bathroom2, Stairway 1, Stairway2, Stairway 3

In the basement , where my computer lab/lair/batcave is located, will be the RPi , that sends the control signals out - using a Rpi4 with touchscreen.

Is this practical/possible or am I barking up the wrong tree the wrong way?

bidrohini

Re: Exploring home lighting system

Post by bidrohini »

Yeah. It's possible to control multiple Led strips located at different rooms with a Raspberry Pi. Here somebody was doing something similar:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=274479

commguy

Re: Exploring home lighting system

Post by commguy »

I would be very interested in an answer to this as well. I have an RPi 3b with a touchscreen that I would like to use to control 12 RGB strips (WS2312). The intent of the project is for a maker case to put local 3D makes on display in a store. It's sort of a local community thing.

Am I correct in assuming you would want the Pi to send a change in lighting color/pattern with an update sent to the Pi to confirm the change which you would then be able to use as an update to the interface to reflect the new color/pattern?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”