Metro M4 with EDUP WiFi?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magno_grail

Metro M4 with EDUP WiFi?

Post by magno_grail »

Machine is a dynamometer reading force, position and temperature data.
Current configuration has a main board with a Labjack plugged in by headers and the USB goes to a connector on the main board for the PC connection. I want to change this to an Express or Grand Central replacing the Labjack and WiFi to the PC. With the new VFC motor controller I have had problems with grounds. The only way I have got it working is to isolate the USB shell from the machine frame or using an isolated powered USB hub.
Will the EDUP WiFi dongle work with the USB port of the M4? This would be by cable from the M4 to a USB connector on the main board. I presume there would be a driver needed. EDUP uses Windows, Linux or MacOS Realtek LAN drivers.
I realize there is a WiFi version of the M4 but it will be located in a case grounded to the frame of the machine so I do not believe the Wifi would be very effective, so the need for an external antenna.
Thanks for any information.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Metro M4 with EDUP WiFi?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

magno_grail wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm Will the EDUP WiFi dongle work with the USB port of the M4?
In theory yes, but in practice it's extremely unlikely.

The first problem is that you'd have to program the M4 to run as a USB Host. The hardware supports that, but I don't know of any existing code to actually do it. Assuming you found some, you'd then need code to support the dongle's USB interface. The chance of something existing for the SAMD51 platform is vanishingly small, and it could be impossible to get the information you need to write one, depending on how proprietary its chipset is.

magno_grail

Re: Metro M4 with EDUP WiFi?

Post by magno_grail »

Thanks. I think an easier route is the Seeed Technologies XIAO board with a WiFi EPS32 chip on it. It has a connector for an external antenna and the only thing lacking is a DAC. The mother board already needs OP amps for the load cell and temperature sensor so adding a DAC is not a problem.
Plus it is $5, cheaper than the EDUP WiFi.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”