Feather ESP32-S3 TFT

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eswo

Feather ESP32-S3 TFT

Post by eswo »

I have a new board (a couple of days old) that keeps dropping power. I have tried doing a factory reset of firmware, but it continues to drop. It will stay online for about 10-15 minutes then completely powers off. I have to apply power to the usb pin for it to power back on, normal boot/rst is not working on it.

dastels

Re: Feather ESP32-S3 TFT

Post by dastels »

What are you using for a power supply?

Dave

eswo

Post by eswo »

I have moved this over to a 2a power supply. I will monitor it for bit.

eswo

Post by eswo »

I is holding now for about an hour or so, but continues to drop. I am also running the original factory firmware with no additional code running on it at this point.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Hmm. What do you mean by "drop" Drop the wifi connection or power down?

Dave

eswo

Post by eswo »

The power keeps dropping, I unplug it from the power supply then plug it back in and nothing/no power. In order for it to "reboot" I need to apply 3v to the "usb" or D13 pin - once I do that the board powers back up to where it was.

dastels

Post by dastels »

What, exactly, are you powering with, and how is it connected?

Dave

eswo

Post by eswo »

I was initially connected to my PC with standard usb c cable. Now I am connected to a 5v 2a wall charger. I amal also starting to see issue with the TFT screen not always displaying (this is inconsistent), but the board does seem to still be powered (when I hit reset it recycles and the screen will display.)

dastels

Post by dastels »

I'm getting more eyes on this.

Dave

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Is anything attached to the Feather ESP32-S3 TFT other than the USB cable? Like a FeatherWing or anything to any of the pins. If so, please post a photo of your setup showing how everything is connected.

eswo

Post by eswo »

There is nothing else attached, in the link is a video with 2 wires attached only to connect the pins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TZZGhrzuY0

eswo

Post by eswo »

I think the capacitor on the back side directly under the JST connector is getting hot to the touch.

I have included a couple photos, note in this picture the display is not working. I think once the capacitor cools down it will begin working.
Attachments
plug.jpg
plug.jpg (217.79 KiB) Viewed 222 times
board.jpg
board.jpg (458.47 KiB) Viewed 222 times

adafruit_support_carter

In order for it to "reboot" I need to apply 3v to the "usb" or D13 pin
This is actually the other way around. It is applying the 5V USB input power directly to the 3V rail (output side of the vreg), which is dangerous and could damage 3V components that can not tolerate 5V. Why it's actually doing what's shown in the video is a bit of mystery.

At what point in the troubleshooting was this done?
I have a new board (a couple of days old) that keeps dropping power.
How was the board being used during these couple of days? Nothing was attached to the pins during this time frame?

eswo

Post by eswo »

When I got the feather I had set it up using the Terminal Block Breakout (item 2926) but I had not hooked up any any sensors or other devices. I was primarily working on displaying json files on the tft display. When the board first started powering off I removed it from the breakout, it continued powering off, I then posted on here received a suggestion to change the power supply from my PC to another higher amp power supply - it has continued doing the same since then. It is now powering off the tft display while keeping the board running once in a while, other times it completely powers off until I reset the pin as described earlier (I will stop doing so, to avoid damage.)

adafruit_support_carter

The capacitor getting hot doesn't sound good. It's this one, for general reference:
schem.png
schem.png (55.78 KiB) Viewed 200 times

See if going through a factory reset helps at all. Try the non-UF2 approach, which is a lower level approach using the ROM bootloader:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... er-3108530

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”