IR photodiode

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alainsam

IR photodiode

Post by alainsam »

I am looking for an equivalent of your Analog UV Light Sensor Breakout - GUVA-S12SD but for Infra Red range 700 -1300 nanometers Do you have it or can the UV photodiode be replaced by an IR one?

sj_remington

Re: IR photodiode

Post by sj_remington »

can the UV photodiode be replaced by an IR one
Yes, but the readout is analog only.

The TSL2591, LTR-303 and LTR-329 have an IR photodiode with digital readout, and other sensors like them are available.

alainsam

Post by alainsam »

Thanks!
I'd like to use a small battery to power these board, which battery model do you advise knowing that I want one measurement about every second for 8 hours+ ?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What microcontroller board are you using?

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

The MCP6001 op amp on the sensor draws less than 1 mA, so 2 or 3 AA batteries will power it for a couple of years.
A CR2032 cell should last for more than a week.

adafruit_support_mike

The GUVA-S12SD breakout does use an MCP6001, and you're right that its operating current is fairly low. We don't have an equivalent analog IR sensor though.

You could use an MCP6001 with an IR photodiode, but you'd need to design your own circuit.

alainsam

Post by alainsam »

I am looking for a small microcontroller with low power need, BLE and I2C. It mainly collects the photodiode data and send it via BLE to be processed outside. So far it seems that a mini ESP32 may work? Any help will be appreciated.

adafruit_support_mike

The ESP32 isn't a low-power device. The nRF52832 and nRF52840 are better for low-power applications with BLE support:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3406
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=nRF52840&sort=BestMatch

Both support I2C, as do most microcontrollers.

For polled applications, you might also want to look at the TPL5110 low-power timer:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3435

The timer automatically wakes up at configurable intervals from 100ms to about 2 hours, and connects power to the load. Left to itself it will shut down for 50ms before waking up again, but it has a DONE pin the load can use to shut off power earlier.

When counting the TPL5110 uses less than 100nA, which is low enough to run about a year on 1mAh of energy. The onboard power LED leaks about 20uA when not lit, but there's a jumper you can cut to disable that loss.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”