5x5 NeoBFF Arduino issue

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JacknVegas

5x5 NeoBFF Arduino issue

Post by JacknVegas »

I have installed the libraries, in Arduino I opened the 5X5 example file. under "Tools" I am unable to find either a port or a board for the QTpy/5X5 neobff to connect. What did I overlook.

dastels

Re: 5x5 NeoBFF Arduino issue

Post by dastels »

Do you have a USB data cable, not a charge/power cable?

Dave

JacknVegas

Post by JacknVegas »

I have a good cable, but I am on a MacBook Air. Is this still a Ventura 13.0 problem?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Do you have the appropriate board support package installed?

Dave

JacknVegas

Post by JacknVegas »

I installed all the packages listed in the 5X5 NeoBFF folder but I didn't see one that mentioned boards. What is the name of that package? (thanks for the help)

dastels

Post by dastels »

It will depend on which QtPy you have. See the Arduino IDE setup page of the appropriate tutorial guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=qtpy

Dave

JacknVegas

Post by JacknVegas »

All problems resolved. Thanks for help! How do I connect a LiPo artery to the QTpy 2040 since there is no connector?

dastels

Post by dastels »

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

You can use the lipo BFF that dastels pointed to, but the problem is the BFFs aren't really made to stack, and you obviously want the 5x5 neopixel BFF on the top. You could use long pins and attach the lipo BFF in the middle. However, in doing so, you no longer have access to the switch that turns the power on/off. If you need the switch, perhaps using something like the JST cable with power switch (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3064) may be helpful.

Alternatively, you take stacking headers, cut them down to 7 pins for each side, and attach them to the lipo BFF, and put female headers on the QT PY and male headers on the 5x5 neopixel BFF if you didn't want to solder things together permanently.

If the VERTER 5V buck/boost part (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2190) was in stock, you could also attach the lipo to the VERTER and use a USB A to USB C cable to attach the VERTER to the QT PY. However in doing that, you will lose some of the power in the lipo due to conversion from 3.7 volts to 5 volts.

A third option is not to use a lipo battery, but instead use a power bank and use that to attach the QT PY. The problem with power banks (besides the size issue) is a lot of power banks will turn themselves off if the power drain is not high enough. The power banks were designed to charge cell phones and not run electronics which just sip power.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I should mention that you don't have to mount the Lipo BFF on the QtPy. All that's required is that the relevant connections are made: 5v and gnd. And A2 if you want to monitor the battery voltage.

Dave

JacknVegas

Post by JacknVegas »

Thank you again. The LiPo is connected and works fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”