Looking for a bargraph that supports NeoPixels

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
guitarist

Looking for a bargraph that supports NeoPixels

Post by guitarist »

Try as I might, I have not been able to find any bargraph LEDs in the classic styles as an RGB NeoPixel (examples of what I'm looking for shown below), nor am I finding any 15 or 16 segment displays in a NeoPixel format, which I'd like to use in a display project. I'm trying to match the style of 80s electronics, but with a more modern backend interface. Does anyone know of any? Or find a way to make some match it visually? Thanks!

dastels

Re: Looking for a bargraph that supports NeoPixels

Post by dastels »

I think the best you can do is to make use of the flexible strips of NeoPixels or DotStars. There are different sizes and spacings, and the side light ones are fairly narrow on the illuminated side. You can also use the 8-pixel rigid sticks. They're designed to solder end-to-end to make longer strips of NeoPixels. I've done that before to make 40-pixel long sticks for projects.

Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You may also be interested in our LED backpacks. They are not Neopixels, but have a two-wire i2c interface and support bicolor bar-graph displays: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-led ... 4-bargraph

guitarist

Post by guitarist »

dastels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:29 pm I think the best you can do is to make use of the flexible strips of NeoPixels or DotStars. There are different sizes and spacings, and the side light ones are fairly narrow on the illuminated side.
I considered the possibility of using the standalone SMD chips to "build" a bargraph LED inside a housing like what you see in the image, like the tiny 1515 chips (arranged in a 3x1 configuration), or perhaps this https://www.adafruit.com/product/4893, but that can quickly become a tedious project, as here's a sample of what I'm looking at doing: Image
dastels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:29 pm You can also use the 8-pixel rigid sticks. They're designed to solder end-to-end to make longer strips of NeoPixels. I've done that before to make 40-pixel long sticks for projects.
I have a few of these, I do really like them, but they have 5050 LEDs, which are sized a little too big for a bargraph display, which tend to have a 1mm thickness to the LED, with a .5mm gap.
adafruit_support_bill wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:42 pm You may also be interested in our LED backpacks. They are not Neopixels, but have a two-wire i2c interface and support bicolor bar-graph displays: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-led ... 4-bargraph
I have also looked at these for the alphanumeric displays I mentioned, and they are promising. However, I have a couple of requirements that make these difficult to use: 1) I want to be able to change color (more than 2). 2) I want to be able to programmatically change brightness. Thus my resolve to try for a NeoPixel equivalent.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I haven't looked at DotStar products recently, but they are small and have all the capabilities of NeoPixelks. There's also the smaller format NeoPixels.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”