water proof precision barometric pressure

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LydiaSoifer

water proof precision barometric pressure

Post by LydiaSoifer »

I am beginning a project to make a climate sensor that will measure climate (temperature and humidity) from the ground to the top of a tree as the sensor is pulled up a rope. I was thinking of using the Adafruit DPS310 Precision Barometric Pressure / Altitude Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic to determine the height of the sensor.

I am planning to use the sensor in wet environments. I saw that there were water resistant pressure sensors, and was wondering if there could also be a water resistant version of the precision pressure sensor.

Thanks,
Lydia

sj_remington

Re: water proof precision barometric pressure

Post by sj_remington »

Electronic circuitry intended for use in damp outdoor environments must be very carefully protected from dampness and even condensation caused by temperature changes. PCBs must be either "conformally coated" or the entire circuit "potted" in waterproof silicon compound.

Otherwise corrosion due to electrolysis will quickly set in, sometimes in just a few days, and destroy the boards.

Modules intended for hobby use are usually not so protected, so search for sensors intended for the sort of application you have in mind.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”