Loading Bitmaps to the board's flash memory chip using Arduino IDE

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
edwarddurrans

Loading Bitmaps to the board's flash memory chip using Arduino IDE

Post by edwarddurrans »

Hi,

I have the following configuration:

Board: Itsy Bitsy M4 Express
Screen: ST7789 280 x 240
I am using the Arduino IDE to write and upload my application.

I am trying to load some .bmp images first to the board's flash memory chip and then onto the screen. To do this, I first tried to follow along with this example:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Im ... 89-280x240

Originally, I put the .bmp files in the same directory as the .ino file and assumed they would be uploaded to the board's flash memory chip with the application when I clicked upload on the Arduino IDE. This didn't work and I got the "File not found" error. Then I read somewhere to click on Sketch -> Add File and add my .bmp files to the application this way. Again, I got the "File not found" error when I uploaded my application to the board using the Arduino IDE.

How can I upload .bmp images to the board's flash memory chip using the Arduino IDE?

Thank you in advance.

mikeysklar

Re: Loading Bitmaps to the board's flash memory chip using Arduino IDE

Post by mikeysklar »

Take a look at this section of the guide which walks you through using loadBMP()

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gfx ... am-3013096
Loading and Using Images in RAM

Depending on image size and other factors, loading an image from SD card to screen may take several seconds. Small images…those that can fit entirely in RAM…can be loaded once and used repeatedly. This can be handy for frequently-used icons or sprites, as it’s usually much easier than converting and embedding an image as an array directly in one’s code…a horrible process.

This introduces another ImageReader function plus a new object type, Adafruit_Image:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”