Circuit Python VS Code Serial Monitor Issue

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jemspire

Circuit Python VS Code Serial Monitor Issue

Post by Jemspire »

Hi,

I have followed the Visual Studio Code Set Up guide on https://sites.google.com/view/circuitpy ... code-setup.

Upon attempting to launch View> Command Palette > Circuit Python: Open Serial Monitor or Select Serial Monitor. the system will prompt and error/following message:

"Command 'CircuitPython: Open Serial Monitor' resulted in an error (command 'circuitpython.openSerialMonitor' not found)"

Command 'CircuitPython: Select Serial Port' resulted in an error (command 'circuitpython.openSerialMonitor' not found)

Any idea how how do resolve this.

Thank you.
Attachments
CleanShot 2023-01-25 at 17.50.15.png
CleanShot 2023-01-25 at 17.50.15.png (17.15 KiB) Viewed 109 times

mikeysklar

Re: Circuit Python VS Code Serial Monitor Issue

Post by mikeysklar »

Looks as though you are not alone. Lots of windows / Mac users reporting the same issue with VScode. You might want to follow this open issue on the github repo.

https://github.com/joedevivo/vscode-cir ... /issues/46

There are some reports of a work around opening the folder (directory) instread of the code.py directly.

robcranfill

Post by robcranfill »

Jemspire wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:53 am "Command 'CircuitPython: Open Serial Monitor' resulted in an error (command 'circuitpython.openSerialMonitor' not found)"
As one other person has already mentioned, this seems to be a common problem - I encounter it on my various dev platforms (I have 3 :-) )

I've tried various fixes offered, and none have worked for me so far, but maybe this thread will elicit a correct solution from the Adafruit community. :-)

robcranfill

Post by robcranfill »

robcranfill wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 am
Jemspire wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:53 am "Command 'CircuitPython: Open Serial Monitor' resulted in an error (command 'circuitpython.openSerialMonitor' not found)"
As one other person has already mentioned, this seems to be a common problem - I encounter it on my various dev platforms (I have 3 :-) )
Jinx! Until this morning, my main dev platform (Windows 11, VS Code latest, WSL2 latest) was working fine... and now I get this malf on any CircuitPython extension function, like "command 'circuitpython.selectBoard' not found" and "command 'circuitpython.openSerialMonitor' not found".

I've turned off all WSL/C extensions to VSCode. I've tried the "open a folder instead of a file" proffered solution (although I'm a little fuzzy as to just what they mean by that), all to no avail.

I can use MobaXTerm as a serial monitor, but I'd much rather use the inbuilt VSCode one, so I'd love to find a solution!

Jemspire

Post by Jemspire »

Ive went back to redo Step 6 to rectify my connection issue.
Do remember to Open Serial Monitor(see Step 7) should you with to REPL. May need to close and open VS Code occasionally to get it to work.

https://sites.google.com/view/circuitpy ... code-setup

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

I gave up and use Putty to view REPL.

robcranfill

Post by robcranfill »

And today, although I've changed nothing, it's working. Perhaps the CircuitPython "Bundle updated to 20230202" did the trick?

Jemspire

Post by Jemspire »

robcranfill wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:45 pm And today, although I've changed nothing, it's working. Perhaps the CircuitPython "Bundle updated to 20230202" did the trick?
Awesome!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”