Help with dysfunctional Raspberry Pi 4B

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
scottperdue23

Help with dysfunctional Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by scottperdue23 »

Hi, I bought a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2 GB RAM (PID: 4292) on 12/28/22. I got it for Octoprint for a 3D printer. I have two other printers already operational with Octopi so I know what I'm doing.

This unit worked for a couple weeks and then suddenly stopped working. The red light is on but it's not connecting to WiFi. I plugged in an ethernet cable and it still wasn't on the network. I bought an HDMI cable for it, installed Pi OS, and hooked it up to the TV, and it isn't powering on, apparently. The red light is on but there are no other signs of life. I'm using an official Raspberry Pi power supply. I've tried multiple microSD cards.

I even removed the microSD and plugged it in via HDMI expecting a boot screen and got nothing. Aside from the red light, there are no signs of life whatsoever.

I emailed Adafruit support regarding a replacement and they said that I needed to post here. 🤷‍♂️

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Help with dysfunctional Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It was working then not working. Any correlation to anything?

In addition to the power supply, what else was attached to the Pi?

scottperdue23

Post by scottperdue23 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:45 pm It was working then not working. Any correlation to anything?

In addition to the power supply, what else was attached to the Pi?
Nope, absolutely nothing changed. I had it hooked up to an Ender 3 S1 3D printer as an Octoprint server. Like I said, I have two others set up in the same way and they've always worked fine. Nothing changed – no storms causing power surges or anything, no new variables introduced. It just stopped working.

adafruit_support_carter

I had it hooked up to an Ender 3 S1 3D printer as an Octoprint server.
How is that connection made?

scottperdue23

Post by scottperdue23 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 pm
I had it hooked up to an Ender 3 S1 3D printer as an Octoprint server.
How is that connection made?
Via USB cable with electrical tape over the 5V pin. All pretty standard stuff as far as Octopi goes.

adafruit_support_carter

Via USB cable with electrical tape over the 5V pin.
The USB cable goes to the USB port on the Pi? Or somewhere else? Why is taping the 5V pin needed?

And the USB cable attaches to what on the 3D printer?

scottperdue23

Post by scottperdue23 »

USB cable from the USB-A port on the Raspberry Pi to the USB-C port on the Creality Ender 3 S1 printer. You put tape over the 5V pin on the USB-A plug so that the Pi doesn't send power to the printer, which keeps the printer on even when it's supposed to be turned off. It doesn't cause any harm if you don't tape over it, it's just an annoyance because you can't power off your 3D printer.

I really don't think any of this has anything to do with the Pi not working. I think it's just a bad unit that needs to be replaced.

adafruit_support_carter

Replacements are currently not available due to essentially non-existent inventory. Best we can due is refund the Pi.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can refund you for the Pi.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”