choose a potentiometer for the knob (PID2056)

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bhl

choose a potentiometer for the knob (PID2056)

Post by bhl »

Hi,

I bought several Solid Machined Metal Knobs (1" Diameter PID: 2056) (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2056) and simply choose some random potentiometers without looking at the mechanical spec. Then I found the shaft of these potentiometers cannot fit in with this knob.

If we just use the information "6mm diameter slot-hole" from this knob to search the potentiometer, there is only one that seems to match this knob (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4133 ). However, I also see a thread inside the hole of the knob, which makes me confused if this potentiometer is really a fit.

Therefore, would you advise if there are one or more potentiometer products in Adafruit that can really fit with the PID: 2056 knobs that I have purchased? Thank you!

bidrohini

Re: choose a potentiometer for the knob (PID2056)

Post by bidrohini »

The description of the knob (PID2056) says that these potentiometers are compatible with the knob: https://www.adafruit.com/?q=panel+mount ... =BestMatch

bhl

Post by bhl »

Thank you bidrohini!
I did purchase some of them but I don't think they are compatible.
What I have purchased are the following two components, which also show up on page 2 of the link you provided.
(1) Alpha Single-Gang 16mm Right-angle PC Mount - 100K Linear - RV16AF-41-15R1-B100K-30H4 PID: 5277
(2) Alpha Single-Gang 16mm Right-angle PC Mount - 10K LinearAlpha Single-Gang 16mm Right-angle PC Mount - 10K Linear - RV16AF-41-15R1-B10K-30H4 PID: 5280

However, when I tried to insert the shaft of them into the hole of the knob, they are not fit. In case my installation method is wrong, please advise. Or I really don't think they fit with each other.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Have you loosened the retaining screw inside the knobs?

bhl

Post by bhl »

adafruit_support_mike wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:08 pm Have you loosened the retaining screw inside the knobs?
No I did not do anything for that screw. Can you give me an instruction on how can I do that?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

We've confirmed here that the various "Alpha Single-Gang 16mm Right-angle PC Mount" pots indeed do *not* fit with the PID 2056 knob. Those pots have been added since the PID 2056 product page was originally written, which is linking to a general product category. Originally, everything in that category search fit. But now there are those newer pots with 6.3mm shafts which have been added, and they do not fit.

This has been noted and the product pages are being updated. Thanks for pointing this out. Sorry for the confusion.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”