Adafruit FONA: Couldn't find FONA

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GavishJ

Adafruit FONA: Couldn't find FONA

Post by GavishJ »

Hello Adafruit teams,

I recently purchased the "Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM Breakout uFL Version PID: 1946" to connect to my "Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express featuring the SAMD51 PID: 4064". I connected the Fona with a " Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 1200mAh PID: 258". On the FONA, a red LED is blinked around every 3 seconds indicating the SIM is recognized and also a blue LED is ON.

However, when i used the Fonatest(Adafruit FONA library), in my Serial Monitor(Arduino IDE) it showed "Couldn't find FONA" at the end as shown in the attachment down below.

I used the following pins(Included pictures in the attachment down below to better see the connecting pins):
Vio - 5v - The system is able to be powered from Grand Central M4
Gnd - gnd - The system is able to be powered from Grand Central M4
rx - 2
tx - 10
rst - 4 - Reset button on Grand Central M4 mega is powering module on and off

Solutions i tried:
I tried using the SIM on phone by making a call, it works but not on the FONA. I also tried to change to pins of RX and TX, but it was still the same issue. I also tried using a different antenna, for example, " Right-angle Mini GSM/Cellular Quad-Band Antenna - 2dBi SMA Plug PID: 1858" and " Slim Sticker-type GSM/Cellular Quad-Band Antenna - 3dBi uFL PID: 1991", but nothing change. Maybe i used the wrong pins or are not using the FONA properly.

Please do let me know on how the issue can be fixed. Your help will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
Gavish Juggernauth.
Showing all components
Showing all components
3.jpg (224.29 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Attachments
Serial Monitor 2: End
Serial Monitor 2: End
1.5.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Serial Monitor 1: Start
Serial Monitor 1: Start
1.0.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 163 times

GavishJ

Re: Adafruit FONA: Couldn't find FONA

Post by GavishJ »

I also tried another solution: That is calling the SIM phone number on FONA from my phone. I inserted an earphone in the FONA and it does have a sound and rings that I can hear from the earphone. Therefore, it shows that it is getting the connection and being able to receive calls. But when i am using the FONAtest or basically anything from the Adafruit FONA library, it is not working and i am still having the same issue as mentioned above.

I needed that for my final year project, its urgent.
Would it be possible to help adafruit_support ? Thank you very much.

GavishJ

Re: Adafruit FONA: Couldn't find FONA

Post by GavishJ »

Updates: More solutions i tried:
I change the code's pin number:

Code: Select all

#define FONA_RX 50
#define FONA_TX 51
#define FONA_RST 22
But it still was not working

So, what i did was, I changed only the connecting wires to RX= TX 1 and TX= RX 0 pin number on my Grand Central Metro M4 without changing the code(The code is shown above, where FONA_RX 50 etc...) and uploaded it.
It worked as shown below and i was able to send calls and SMS:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2023-02-01 161446.png (30.2 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2023-02-01 162118.png (55.61 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Therefore, i got two questions: How can i assign the FONA to other pin number on the Grand Central Metro M4 (because i am using my Adafruit Ultimate GPS on the RX= TX 1 and TX= RX 0 pin number) And what pins should i use? Does the Grand Central Metro M4 board support both Software and Hardware Serial? If you guys can clarify that for me, that would be great. Thank you very much.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”