Environmental sensors /// Guidance sought

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
dpuerto

Environmental sensors /// Guidance sought

Post by dpuerto »

I am interested in purchasing SCD-30 or SCD-41. I don't have RaspberryPi or Arduino. I am considering RaspberryPi since I heard it's better (Somehow, maybe a camera and WIFI already? but can't Arduino Uno do this?)

Anyways, which sensor is better? And how do I connect it? I have a greenhouse outside my house on the patio and I was thinking about putting the board in a weather proof container. I was thinking to write some software like Mycodo to simply monitor the readings and then store in Azure and Visualize on the Web using React with a PWA approach. I am a software engineer and I've built cars and motorcycles. I've never dabbled in the hardware but I think with my software capability that this should be doable in a weekend or several to really add some finesse. I specialize in the UI and am full stack so I can handle the flow of the data from the sensors to the persistence layer to the middle ware and then to the UI on the device... I'm just looking for a side project to work on Azure's IoT simulator which has Raspberry Pi already... so maybe pi is the way to go... but I could as easily use DigitalOcean or just local with Node/Express/Mongo for prototyping.

What's the cheapest way to get me going? I'd like to eventually have 6-10 sensors running in tandem with wifi and cameras... I don't know where to start, what to buy, and what to use to daisy chain them all together. RaspberryPi 4b is ~$80 for 4-8gb locally on the classified ads and at my office buy/sell/trade groups.

I am ready to purchase whatever I need but I can't figure out what is the better option financially since these are expensive sensors and I want WiFi and the ability to expand to up ten sensors. I also don't know which is better SCD-30 or SCD-41. Is SCD-41 smaller and still as accurate? How do I daisy chain these? I'd like to start with two and then monitor on my network, and then buy two every pay check while I finesse the software to keep me motivated.

Franklin97355

Re: Environmental sensors /// Guidance sought

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you are interested in CO2 then the SCD41 is the better choice. The Arduino is less powerful than the pi and needs additional help to do wifi and handle the camera.

dpuerto

Re: Environmental sensors /// Guidance sought

Post by dpuerto »

Franklin97355 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:26 am If you are interested in CO2 then the SDC41 is the better choice. The Arduino is less powerful than the pi and needs additional help to do wifi and handle the camera.
Thanks Franklin. I ordered the SCD-41 but I don't know what to do to connect it to a Pi Zero W. I am new to electronics. I suspect I have to solder. I posted another thread in general project help! Thanks for the direction!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”