STMPE610 alternative?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paulm555

STMPE610 alternative?

Post by paulm555 »

I use the TFT Featherwing, part number 3315, in an important project. I see that the STMPE610 is now obsolete.

1. Is there another chip that works with resistive touch screens in an SPI format?

2. Is the 3315 being re-engineered now, or is it waiting on a so-far non-existent chip to proceed?

It would be very helpful to get a sense of where we are in the re-engineering process, so I have a way of evaluating how heroically I need to be with my redesign.

paulm555

Re: STMPE610 alternative?

Post by paulm555 »

Found the part search video. Thank you for making that! I see the TSC2046EIPWR has the SPI interface.

Any advice on how soon we might see the 3315 TFT Featherwing in stock again?

therealarty

Post by therealarty »

I am highly interested in having more info about this part (3315) as well !!
@paulm555, to what video are you referring to?
Found the part search video. Thank you for making that! I see the TSC2046EIPWR has the SPI interface.

therealarty

Post by therealarty »

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

paulm555 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:57 pm 1. Is there another chip that works with resistive touch screens in an SPI format?

2. Is the 3315 being re-engineered now, or is it waiting on a so-far non-existent chip to proceed?
Existence isn't the problem. There are plenty of SPI touchscreen controllers out there:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/fil ... TgwcVDExIA

The problem is finding the feature/performance/price balances that work best for a new version of the board. The chance of finding a pin-compatible replacement for the STMPE610 is low, so a new board will be a full respin.

I know it's on the to-do list, but can't say anything about its priority, and we don't do ETAs because the only way to win is not to play: show-stopper problems can occur right up to the last minute, and then you have to choose between shipping a product with known problems or fielding complaints from people who choose not to understand the difference between 'estimated' and 'guaranteed'.

Instead, we fix the problems as they come up. By the time we actually know we *can* sell a new product, we have no reason to keep it out of the shop any longer. The only remaining steps are making the product page visible in the shop and wheeling the boards down to be packaged and shipped, which take maybe ten minutes.

paulm555

Post by paulm555 »

Thanks Mike!

Something that would be hugely useful would be a 3315 without the touch screen function. That's something you could manufacture without modifying the board.

What do you think about making a no-re-spin product, to fit the electro-mechanical interface?

Very best,

Paul

paulm555

Post by paulm555 »

I withdraw the request for a Featherwing display without the touch screen controller. Even without the controller you'd have to make a new board to bring out the touch screen lines, so this request is not a no-touch production.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”