Mini MQTT too big for Pico W?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fovea1959

Mini MQTT too big for Pico W?

Post by fovea1959 »

just got my Pico W. CircuitPython 8.0.0-rc.1.

Tried to use Thonny to load minimqtt into it; ran out of file system space on the Pico. Scratched the lib folder and brought adafruit-circuitpython-bundle-8.x-mpy-20230202.zip down, and tried to populate lib/ from it; too big.

Looks like the Pico only has 0.5m of flash available for the file system (too small to do minimqtt?)

danhalbert

Re: Mini MQTT too big for Pico W?

Post by danhalbert »

adafruit_minimqtt is only about 13kB. Did you just copy over the adafruit_minimqtt folder?

What else is on CIRCUITPY? Did you copy a .UF2 file to it, or are there other large files there for some reason? The UF2 is not needed; it is loaded by the bootloader and does not belong in CIRCUITPY.

You do not need to use Thonny to copy files; you can just drag onto the drive.
If this is on a Mac, make sure there are not a lot of hidden files:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... os-3105312

fovea1959

Post by fovea1959 »

I used Thonny to (try to) install it. It decided it needed a ton of dependencies. I then tried to load the entire Adafruit library.

I'll sit down tomorrow with some patience, load Mini MQTT, and load dependencies only as needed.

fovea1959

Post by fovea1959 »

danhalbert wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:24 pm You do not need to use Thonny to copy files; you can just drag onto the drive.
It's an ESP-EYE, no CIRCUITPY.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Sorry, I'm confused, you said in the first post and the title it was a Pico W. But it's an ESP-EYE board (ESP32)??

fovea1959

Post by fovea1959 »

danhalbert wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:59 pm Sorry, I'm confused, you said in the first post and the title it was a Pico W. But it's an ESP-EYE board (ESP32)??
no, I'm confused, working two projects at the same time. Yes, it's a Pico W. There is no UF2 on there, but I just let Thonny try to install Mini MQTT (it probably tried to load too many unnecessary "dependencies"), and I didn't try to pick and choose from the adafruit mega-library download. I'll try bringing in just the Mini MQTT from the latter tomorrow, and bring in additional stuff as necessary.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The "circup" tools works out better for automatically installing libraries if CIRCUITPY is available:
https://learn.adafruit.com/keep-your-ci ... ith-circup

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”