Featherwing not working

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
charliesologuitar

Featherwing not working

Post by charliesologuitar »

Hi,

I recently purchased a Featherwing Power Relay, however, it is not working (coil does not activate with high, or low, on signal terminal).

Please issue an RMA. order # is: #2998091-0805532297.

See attached order details.
MOD EDIT: deleted invoice with PII

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Featherwing not working

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post a photo of your setup so we can look for any obvious hardware issues. It may just be connection related.

Posting your invoice here in the forums is not needed.

charliesologuitar

HI Carter,

Two photos are attached....the first photo is the defective Featherwing.....the second photo (bottom), is a working Featherwing.....("signal" is connected to gpio pin # 5 of the Huzzah 8266, and working fine).

How do I return the defective Featherwing?

Charlie T.

PS - Unrelated, the Monk Capacitive sensor is working fine again with the Huzzah...had a loose wire.......
Attachments
CT_Featherwings.pdf
(117.5 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for the photos.

The Power Relay FeatherWing requires soldering a jumper to select which pin gets used to control the relay:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pow ... ol-2567394

For the working Feather, it looks like a wire (green) has been wired to the signal pad?

For the non-working Feather, what was done for routing the relay signal? Was one of the jumper pads soldered closed? Or something else?

charliesologuitar

Hi Carter,

Yes, correct..for both the non-working, and working Featherwings, the green wire was soldered to the signal pad, and connected to the Huzzah 8266 gpio pin 5. The difference being that the non-working Featherwing did not respond to high (3 v) and lows (0 v) from pin 5 (therefore I disconnected it), while, the working Featherwing, is responding fine.

Charlie

adafruit_support_carter

Are you using this with a Feather main board? Why the green wire instead of using the solder pads?

Also, just as another check, is the signal LED coming on at all on the non-working Feather?

charliesologuitar

Hi Carter,

Yes, I am using the FeatherWing with a Huzzah 8266.....pin # 5 is signal, and of course, "gnd" and "+3vdc", are also supplied by the Huzzah.

The green wire is soldered directly to the signal pad on bottom of FeatherWing board (I am not a fan of headers..they tend to cause poor connections).

No, the FeatherWing (the defective one, that is) LED does not light at all, however, it is getting 3v (I confirmed with a dvm). Now, the working FeatherWing LED does light, when the signal gets a high (also relay clicks and activates).

Charlie T.

adafruit_support_carter

Inlining photos for reference:

WORKING:
working.jpg
working.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 61 times
NOT WORKING:
not_working.jpg
not_working.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 61 times
There appear to be headers attached to the FeatherWing though? For the currently not working FeatherWing, it's not clear how the connections are being made. Looks like the wires are routed underneath on that one? They are not visible in the photos. Are the connections on the Feather end are not shown.

If you use your DMM to check the voltage at the Signal pad:
pad.jpg
pad.jpg (23.97 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Do you see that changing as expected when the host is setting the signal pin high/low?

charliesologuitar

Hi Carter,

You were correct..again.....I doubled-checked all wiring....the "bad FeatherWing is also working now.....was a loose connection (I don't like those nasty gpio connectors!!!!).

You really know your stuff.....

Again, Thank You for your staunch support..!

Take care,

Charlie T.

adafruit_support_carter

Cool. Glad you got it working. That's a pretty simple Feather, so hard to imagine both the relay and LED not working if the signal was showing up. Thanks for sticking with it and working through all the troubleshooting.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”