Soft Flexible Wire NeoPixel Strand-Product ID: 4560

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Allthingmustpass

Soft Flexible Wire NeoPixel Strand-Product ID: 4560

Post by Allthingmustpass »

Hi,

I am looking to use the NeoPixel technology to light a small model. What is the gauge of the wire for these?

I like the flexibility of the wiring but have fit the LEDs through 16 3mm holes (designed for standard 3mm LED's). So I would need to cut and then re-solder the wires between each LED.

Also, Are these as bright as your standard Product ID: 1655 NeoPixel 5050's or your NeoPixel Strips?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Soft Flexible Wire NeoPixel Strand-Product ID: 4560

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Our products team measured the wire at 0.61mm/0.024", which is typical for 7/32 stranded 24-gauge.

Allthingmustpass

Thank you.

Are these as bright as your standard Product ID: 1655 NeoPixel 5050's or your NeoPixel Strips?

adafruit_support_mike

Yep. Pretty much all small-signal LEDs emit the same amount of light.. roughly 1000mcd.

Allthingmustpass

Thanks for these replies. I have what I hope is my last question? Instead of having to cut and re-splice each LED, could I attach a 3mm Solid Core End Glow Fiber Optic Cable to each LED that would then fit through the 3mm holes in the model and light it that way?

I am pretty sure this is a yes but not having done anything like this, thought I would ask. It would make everything so much easier.

Thanks for the help.

adafruit_support_mike

Yeah, that will work.

In that application the fiber optic cable is called a 'light pipe', and they're pretty common. They usually carry light from LEDs soldered directly onto a PCB to the surface of an enclosure, but with the wired strand you'll have more flexibility. Shoot for the easiest balance between running the fiber optic cable and running the LED strip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”