Darksaber switches back on on its own

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nellicica

Darksaber switches back on on its own

Post by Nellicica »

Hello Community, this is my first build from Adafruit. I have - almost - followed the instructions on the website, I used the one color momentary switch version and did not connect the colors, only the 2 stranded wires (into G and ENgage)

Testing it - it stitches on lights up, there is sound, there is light, all fantastic, then I push the switch again, it powers off.... and alas lights on the board start blinking and the darksaber comes to life on its own. I switch it off, and it switches back on. I disconnected the button after power down and it still does it.

Any ideas? I used Feather nRF5284 and all the code prompted on the build page. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Darksaber switches back on on its own

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That sounds like a connection problem.

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Nellicica

Post by Nellicica »

Thank you for replying!

Attached are are the images - BTW I looked at the startup lights and I saw 2 red lights - 3 green and 3/4 blue. Per this: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... ight-20-18 it may not load the code? BTW solderings look clean even if not visible on the photo esp the enable button, wires are not touching, the button is in the hilt already :)
IMG_0313 (1).jpg
IMG_0313 (1).jpg (102.83 KiB) Viewed 180 times
IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0314.jpg (106.34 KiB) Viewed 180 times
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 180 times

adafruit_support_mike

The soldering for the headers does look good, and terminals like the JST-PH2 connectors tend to be reliable.

Can you get a shot of the switch inside the handle?

Nellicica

Post by Nellicica »

OK, took the button out and due to friction injury during removal, one of the soldering joints came off.... and then I went back to the instructions and turns out I used the WRONG BUTTON - this is the button for LIGHTSABER. duh. I got two momentary buttons as I am building both and was not careful when ordering.... But I am contemplating to use the same electronics for the lightsaber as the darksaber (mainly for the bluetooth convenience). Would that work? Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

If they're both momentary buttons, you should be able to use either one.

The connections might be different for different switches though, and that might be part of the issue.

Post a photo showing the switches you have and I'll check.

Nellicica

Post by Nellicica »

Sorry,

I just want to be 100% certain before I order more parts:

The parts list for the DARKsaber says "The RGB LED button in the Lightsaber kit is a momentary switch. The Darksaber uses a latching RGB LED button instead." https://learn.adafruit.com/ble-darksabe ... r/overview Latching: part number 4660 -> I got the 559 - Momentarily.

I updated the code - added the extra line not to -re-load. It still cycled - However when I was holding the momentary button down it did not, it stayed off. Therefore I think it may be that it needs that latching, but you guys are the experts.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, yeah.. using a momentary switch in place of a latching one won't work.

A latching switch holds the connection open or closed. A momentary switch always returns to the same state when you release it.

Latching switches make power control easy because they do everything you need. You can build a touch-on/touch-off power control system with a momentary switch, but it takes some extra hardware and/or code.

Nellicica

Post by Nellicica »

It was the switch. It is working now.... Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”