Feather ESP8266 Not In "My Devices"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
rpatterson89

Feather ESP8266 Not In "My Devices"

Post by rpatterson89 »

I have installed appropriate drivers and I can even test my wifi by pushing code to the board, but when I try to register the board with WipperSnapper the result is inconclusive.

I can detect and install the firmware onto the device
pre-reset.png
pre-reset.png (83.08 KiB) Viewed 263 times
This will hang here for hours if I let it, but I think it's expecting an input or reset. so, I reset the board with the button
reset.png
reset.png (76.95 KiB) Viewed 263 times
The light then goes dim ret, I reset the board again and click the link to my WipperSnapper page on Adafruit IO and there is nothing new there.

Can anyone please help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

edit: I am stupid, I now see there are other posts addressing this exact issue. I might just have to buy a different microcontroller like the HUZZAH ESP8266 Breakout board, but I am wondering if this will have the same issue. I am totally new to hardware (I am a software guy) and I don't even see that microcontroller on the "Choose Your Board" page, so I am feeling kind of lost but these are the two boards my tutorial mentions

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Feather ESP8266 Not In "My Devices"

Post by brubell »

There is an issue open for this exact problem here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... issues/404

I may be able to get to replicating and resolving it this week and will update these threads when ready.

coolate

Post by coolate »

Watching.
I am having this issue with mine as well. Is there a work around others have found? Maybe going back to an earlier version?
Thanks

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Hi, we were able to reproduce this error and found the bug. I just updated the uploader to use the correct file system size and have tested the fix locally on my Feather ESP8266. This bug should be gone.

Please let me know on this thread if you are still experiencing the same problem.

rpatterson89

Post by rpatterson89 »

I am still experiencing an issue.

This time it will hang on "Unzipping wippersnapper.feather_esp8266.littlefs.1.0.0-beta.61.bin..." and downloads a wippersnapper.bin file.

no further instructions involving the bin file in the console or https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... pper-setup.

If I reset the board it is an exact duplication of my first issue

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Hi, on step 3, click Connect instead of Generate Binary File.
connect_btn.png
connect_btn.png (117.7 KiB) Viewed 169 times

rpatterson89

Post by rpatterson89 »

Hello

I meant after I connect, it looks like install happens but then I hang at this screen. Not sure if this means it's complete but the board still does not show up in my devices at this point. I can reset the board and after I reset I get the message "To run the new firmware, please reset your device." I can continue resetting the board and nothing further happens in the console or my devices page
wps.png
wps.png (108.32 KiB) Viewed 159 times
wpspostinstall.png
wpspostinstall.png (97.52 KiB) Viewed 159 times

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Are you able to connect to your board using https://www.serialterminal.com? Could you copy and paste the debug output from that site, here?

CGAllred

Post by CGAllred »

I was having the same problem. Tried using serialterminal.com to diagnose but it just showed garbage. Then I tried ESPHome Web and the console there finally showed the cause: my board was repeatedly reporting "Unable to connect to Adafruit IO MQTT...". Turns out my username was wrong.

I was using my Adafruit account username instead of my Adafruit IO username. They're different. Be sure you're using the username you see when you look at your IO Key.

I re-flashed my Feather ESP8266 with the correct username (just used the update credentials option), and my board shows up in "My Devices" now.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”