Metro M4 Upload/Pin Mapping Issues

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bfett

Metro M4 Upload/Pin Mapping Issues

Post by bfett »

Hi,

I just bought a Grand Central Metro M4, and followed the steps to update the bootloader seen on the following guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gra ... bootloader

After doing so, I verified the updated bootloader from the board (INFO_UF2.txt file contents below):
UF2 Bootloader v3.14.0 SFHWRO
Model: Grand Central M4 Express
Board-ID: SAMD51P20A-GrandCentral-v0

A few inconveniences are happening when attempting to upload simple programs to my board using the Arduino IDE:
1) I have to enter bootloader mode every time I want to upload an updated sketch. To expand a bit more, I have to double click the reset button to enter bootloader mode, switch my COM port to the bootloader port in the Arduino IDE, upload the sketch, then switch back to the original COM port in the Arduino IDE. This isn't the end of the world, but it can be quite inconvenient when rapid prototyping.

I found information on how to do this bootloader process from the same guide I referenced above in another section under the "Manually Bootloading" paragraph:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gra ... rduino-ide
However, it seems I have to do this every time... I tried restarting my PC, cycling power on the M4, etc. and I cannot find a way to simply upload the sketch without entering bootloader mode.

2) This issue is more crucial for my development. The pins in the Arduino IDE don't seem to match the pins on the Grand Central itself. For instance, using a multimeter, when I assign pin 3 to an output pin and toggle it between high and low, pin 14 is the pin that actually toggles between 0V and 3.3V. I've mapped a few pins out in this manner below:

Arduino IDE pin 3 -> M4 pin 14
Arduino IDE pin 4 -> M4 pin 19
Arduino IDE pin 13 -> M4 pin 37

I've dug into this one quite a bit myself, and I can't help but think it is user-error on my end. I cannot figure out where I am going wrong though... Again, I followed the setup based on the guide previously referenced. The board selected in my Arduino IDE is "Adafruit Metro M4 (SAMD51)" and the port detected by the IDE shows the same board.

As an FYI, I don't have the power connector connected to the board yet (I have the switch set to off though). I'm not sure if this affects anything or not, I will try connecting it tomorrow morning and see if it somehow is affecting things.

If someone could assist me, I would really appreciate it! I can't wait to use the board for some development, looks like it can do some pretty neat things!

bfett

Re: Metro M4 Upload/Pin Mapping Issues

Post by bfett »

Yep, 100% user error... I feel really stupid right now. After looking back through my initial post, I noticed I selected "Adafruit Metro M4" and not "Adafruit Grand Central M4" as the board in the IDE... Of course the pins were incorrect because it was attempting to interface to a completely different board...

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Metro M4 Upload/Pin Mapping Issues

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

bfett wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:12 pm I feel really stupid right now.
None of that. Everyone makes mistakes, and usually ones that look silly when we recognize them. There's no way to eliminate them completely, so feeling bad about them just makes life harder for no benefit. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”