Picade video is poor - hard to see

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
ntheath

Picade video is poor - hard to see

Post by ntheath »

So I got my Picade bulit up with RP3+. Initially had the issue where the video wouldn't show up and had to change the config.txt file. That got me past the "no signal found" error, which was really hard to read. I thought it was just a default mode that was hard to read. After I fixed that, I can see retropie load and emulation station start, but the video quality is poor and hard to see. I don't think this is normal - but i'm not sure what the issue is. I tried supplying 5V from a separate wall transformer to the display board to rule out power droop from the RPI's USB port but that doesn't change anything. I have the official RPI USB C power supply I got with the Picade kit. Is this a defective LCD? This is a kit I just ordered from Adafruit.
Attachments
IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2701.jpg (786.78 KiB) Viewed 70 times

mikeysklar

Re: Picade video is poor - hard to see

Post by mikeysklar »

Congrats on getting the Picade built and running.

The Pimoroni products are supported through their forums.

There is a post about the HDMI driver board having brightness settings you can adjust.
The new Picade (2018) does have a hdmi display driver board with it. You can adjust brightness and contrast etc although the problem I’m having is that it never remembers the previous setting after turning it on and off so you have to adjust everytime.

ntheath

Post by ntheath »

Thanks. I'll post over there.

The issue I'm having is I can't even read the menu when I do enter those settings via the keypad. The photo I took there with my phone actually looks readable, but IRL its not. The camera does a lot to enhance the view. Kinda hard to adjust settings when I can't read them :).

ntheath

Post by ntheath »

Hello,

So I checked out the Pimoroni forums and I found that a lot Picade related questions have gone unanswered and are old. So that's not encouraging.

Can someone at Adafruit please assist? My order number is #3015089-3918814631.

I can upload some more pics of the screen, I checked the brightness level and its already maxed out. The whole LCD is just washed out. Its unplayable in this state.
Attachments
IMG_2704.jpg
IMG_2704.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 54 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You can also contact Pimoroni using their form or discord. Adafruit support directs all inquiries to Pimoroni.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”