Is Adafruit Datalogger Shield compatible with Metro ESP32-S2?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
electromechpro

Is Adafruit Datalogger Shield compatible with Metro ESP32-S2?

Post by electromechpro »

Hi,
The title says it all. I have some existing UNO based projects using the Adafruit Datalogger shields that I am trying to upgrade, and am having difficulty making the SD/RTC work with the 3.3v Metro ESP32-S2 board. I have read that the shield is compatible, form factor wise, but do not know if I should pursue further trying to make it work with the ESP32-S2. (The CS pin changes from 10 to 15 for the ESP, I believe.)
Can a simple compatibility chart be posted for the datalogger shield showing which Adafruit boards it will and will not work with? Or perhaps a statement saying if it can be used with both 5v and 3.3v logic?
Thank you.

dastels

Re: Is Adafruit Datalogger Shield compatible with Metro ESP32-S2?

Post by dastels »

Have you read through the product guide? https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-data-logger-shield specifically
If you are using the shield with a 3.3V logic Arduino, you may want to change the Vio jumper. This is what the 10K pullups for I2C are pulled up to. Honestly, the pullups are very weak so if you forget, it's not a big deal. But if you can, cut the small trace between the center pad and 5V and solder the other side so that Vio is connected to 3V
Dave

electromechpro

Re: Is Adafruit Datalogger Shield compatible with Metro ESP32-S2?

Post by electromechpro »

Thank you for your response. Hopefully others will learn from my mishaps. I had about 8 of these shields in use with UNOs out in the field, and a couple got water damaged. My RF transceiver was mounted over the jumper pads, and I forgot about them, as I never had to alter them. The last good one from my stock was used to repair a damaged instrument, and I was trying to refurbish and test the one pictured. Interestingly, the solder jumper pads had no connection to either voltage, as shown in the close-up (wavy, distorted stuff is RTV silicone).
I soldered it to the 3v side and tested it, but the ESP32 did not like it. It will be a while before replacement parts come in, and I was trying to do something useful with what I had, as there was no visible damage to the shield.
Also note: The vcc and ground rails on the prototyping area, as well as the extra holes for the pins, are much appreciated! I wish I had some on the (other brand) RS232 shields!
Attachments
Edge Drain v2.5_4.jpg
Edge Drain v2.5_4.jpg (217 KiB) Viewed 89 times
3v5v.jpg
3v5v.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”