RGB LCD Shield on Metro ESP32-S2

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fabietto0102

RGB LCD Shield on Metro ESP32-S2

Post by fabietto0102 »

Hello, I'm not entirely sure how to check this by myself and need some help please: will the RGB LCD Shield work when mounted on the Metro ESP32-S2? I understand the LCD shield uses the I2C pins A4 and A5, but when I look at the pinout diagrams or read the info on the Metro ESP32-S2, or Metro M4 AirLift Lite, it doesn't look like A4 and A5 double as SCL/SDA..?

If that doesn't work when mounted on top, does it work in detached mode or does it somehow conflicts with the wifi module? Any gotchas?

From what I understand, it won't work on top of either the Metro ESP32 or M4 as SDA/SCL pins are not on A4 or A5. Furthermore, the LCD Shield won't work on Metro ESP32 as it's a 3.3V system but the RGB requires 5V.

So the Metro M4 can work with the shield, but in detached mode only. Does it sound right?

Thanks!!

mikeysklar

Re: RGB LCD Shield on Metro ESP32-S2

Post by mikeysklar »

The Metro M0 or Metro M4 can work with the shield attached no modification.
CircuitPython Microcontroller Wiring

Assemble the shield kit as shown in the previous pages. Then, attach it to a Metro M0 or Metro M4. It's that simple!
https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-lcd-shie ... ng-3009842

If i2c is not available on the same physical pin locations then it will have to be used in detached mode with other Metro based boards.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”