5 new Gemma M0s won't power up

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Seanbseanb

5 new Gemma M0s won't power up

Post by Seanbseanb »

Hi: I ordered 10 Gemma M0's last week, 5 of them won't power on at all (even flipping onboard on/off switch back and forth), 1 won't present USB (but does power up including the dotstar multicolored LED), 4 actually show USB.

Is there a trick to powering them on? I've got the 2x 2032 button cell pack and a charged Adafruit 150mAh LiPo battery pack, and powering from USB, and am seeing consistent behavior no matter which power source I use.

mikeysklar

Re: 5 new Gemma M0s won't power up

Post by mikeysklar »

There is a small on/off slide switch on the Gemma M0 can you confirm that is set to the on position?

Since you are seeing all but one over USB these units all have likely been programmed.

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

I have put the on-off switch in both positions (on and off) several times, no joy whatsoever as far as seeing them power on.

I saw the 4 that would power on via USB. None of the rest show up in USB. Do they come programmed out of the box, or not? I still have all the bags from them.

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

If not programmed, do I need to program them, maybe via the Arduino IDE? Seemed like these should be CircuitPython out of the box?

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

The guides I found associated with the Gemma M0 product page seemed to suggest that CircuitPython is the OOTB configuration. Is that what should I expect?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you post a single photo of all the pink bags (or just one photo if they are identical). That can be helpful for tracing the batch if there was a assembly issue.

The boards normally ship with firmware for the bootloader installed and Arduino code. If you see a CIRCUITPY drive on startup then CircuitPython is installed.

Which would you prefer to use CircuitPython or Arduino code? It would be helpful to have you upload a basic blink program for either platform to determine if these boards need to be returned.

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

I've got existing code for Arduino that would be easiest to use. I have 9/10 bags, looks like P3501 top right, W17205-A under the big bar code.
gemma m0 bags IMG_2877 copy.jpg
gemma m0 bags IMG_2877 copy.jpg (498.94 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

So, I was able to get blink running on one of the boards that does power up and shows a USB serial port in Arduino IDE, but the original one that powers up isn't creating a USB serial port at all.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 3.25.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 3.25.12 PM.png (134.1 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

I was able to re-program the one that powered up but wasn't showing a USB port through the double-tap reset. But I still have 5 that don't even power up (no LEDs flash ever)

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

Latest inventory, I can confirm I have 3 working, 6 non working (and I'm assuming a 10th probably still in its bag here somewhere.

Seanbseanb

Post by Seanbseanb »

Found the 4th working. So 4 good, 6 not working.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Nice progress and thanks for the bag picks.

The six non-working. Do you see a USB device on plugin or with the double reset?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”