AS7262 Problem

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robrlstn

Re: AS7262 Problem

Post by robrlstn »

Thank you mike, glad this is going to QC. I emailed support that I would wait rather than refund.

Bathtub curve brings back memories 50 years ago. I was product manager at a small company which made wireless stage gear. We always "burned in" the VHF transmitters and receivers for a couple of days to hopefully get to the bottom part of the bathtub curve. You just could not have stage gear fail when being used on stage at the Oakland Coliseum.

I wish I had purchased an FTDI Friend to see if I could communicate with the board that way rather than I2C.

Some notes about the AS7262 suggest that it will flash the INT LED continuously if the firmware in the SPI Flash is either not there or is corrupted.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

robrlstn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:52 am Bathtub curve brings back memories 50 years ago. I was product manager at a small company which made wireless stage gear. We always "burned in" the VHF transmitters and receivers for a couple of days to hopefully get to the bottom part of the bathtub curve. You just could not have stage gear fail when being used on stage at the Oakland Coliseum.
Yep, that's still standard procedure for high-end gear. Keithley (the current incarnation of Hewlett Packard's instruments division) ages and thermal cycles their voltage references for something like 1000 hours before they go into a bench multimeter.

At our level, it's based on the probability of marginal parts and the cost of testing. There's a point where the cost of testing every board long enough to catch the low-probability failures is higher than the cost of replacing the few that do fail. Even situations like this, with a possible production issue, are rare enough that a handful of replacements are an inexpensive way to detect the issue.
robrlstn wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:52 am I wish I had purchased an FTDI Friend to see if I could communicate with the board that way rather than I2C.
With an Uno, you can use a SoftwareSerial connection to talk to the AS7262's Serial interface. SoftwareSerial is a hack, but can be handy in situations like this.

If you have the option, a dev board with a microcontroller that handles USB internally (a Feather 32u4 or Feather M0) will give you a real UART for communication with external devices while still being able to use the Serial interface to the Arduino IDE for debugging.

If you do all the Serial communication in code, you don't need the FTDI Friend's USB-to-Serial capacity. If you do want to work interactively, a little bit of code will make the microcontroller pass information back and forth between its Serial (USB to the computer) and Serial1 (Serial to external device) interfaces.

robrlstn

Post by robrlstn »

Did QC find any issues with the AS7262 stock?

adafruit_support_mike

No, they didn't.

robrlstn

Post by robrlstn »

I received a replacement AS7262. It works. Thank you.

Out of 5 received, 2 work and 3 do not.

Would Mary Jungman and her Quality team like to have the 3 bad ones for analysis? I would be glad to send them back at my expense.

I see that AMS OSRAM suggests on their AS7262 page "Product Status: Not Recommended for New Designs."

Makes sense. Their newer sensors have more channels and do not require an off-board firmware load.

adafruit_support_mike

robrlstn wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 pm Would Mary Jungman and her Quality team like to have the 3 bad ones for analysis? I would be glad to send them back at my expense.
Thank you, but no. At this point we'd have to decap the chips. We don't have the facilities for that, and debugging at that level is ridiculously expensive.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”