Driving a12VAC pump motor with using an Arduino Uno and MotorShield v2.3

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
imnotarobot

Driving a12VAC pump motor with using an Arduino Uno and MotorShield v2.3

Post by imnotarobot »

Hello,

Apparently, I rambled too much to explain the reason why I want to learn how to drive an AC motor using only DC power input. The Forum AI told me it was invalid, lol. Let's just say I have a device the drives an 12V AC motor using only The DC power available to it (24V AC, 1500mA), which is broken down into voltages that different components use (and in one instance, stepped up). The pic attached show the motor driver IC that I cannot seem to find a datasheet on. I know the motor is AC only as that's what it says it is, and I hooked up a DC PS to it with similar ratings just to see and it does nothing. Hooked up a plug in 12V AC transformer to it and runs fine. I can give more detail upon request, but in the interest of not being rejected by the AI, I'm keeping it short and sweet here.

I happen to have an old Adafruit Arduino Uno (ARDX?) learning kit that my kids rejected, with a MotorShield v2.3. Can this be used to see if I can drive a 12V AC motor with the MotorShield and nothing but DC current? Everything internet only covers DC motors and if it does cover driving AC motors, the AC current is coming from an outside source. Not allowed here. I'm not looking to replace the MCU, nor am I looking for a full schematic, but just to be steered in the right direction and to learn how this can be accomplished and see if I can replicate it.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
Attachments
unknown motor driver IC
unknown motor driver IC
IMG_4366.jpg (147.23 KiB) Viewed 140 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Driving a12VAC pump motor with using an Arduino Uno and MotorShield v2.3

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The MotorShield can handle DC voltages up to 12v. And it is capable of up to 1.2A continuous per channel.

[email protected] is definitely out of the question.

imnotarobot

Post by imnotarobot »

Hi,
Thanks for the info... I guess I put in too much information, my apologies. Forget 24 volts, 1500 milliamps, all that. Is it possible to drive a 12 Volt AC motor like this pump shown using only the power available from the shield? Or if I do have to introduce extra power from an indirect source, having it only be done with DC power? Basically, making the arduino and shield into a little 12V inverter is what i'm asking?
Attachments
aerogarden pump
aerogarden pump
51Cvfon8JYL._AC_SX569_.jpg (16.58 KiB) Viewed 127 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The motor shield is DC only. It cannot switch AC power or act as an inverter.

imnotarobot

Post by imnotarobot »

*sigh*, thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”