I2S not working on a Feather rp2040

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Stain

I2S not working on a Feather rp2040

Post by Stain »

I'm working on a project with a Feather rp2040, Music Maker Featherwing and an I2S MEMS mic (SPH0645LM4H). More details here:viewtopic.php?t=199360

My problem is that I am only getting -1 or 0 from the mic. I have the mic connected through the STEMMA connector, thinking that that would be convenient: 3v, gnd, BCLK and LRCLK. Data is on GPIO7. I eventually figured out that BCLK and LRCLK have to be consecutive pins, something that was not obvious to me, and with that change I was able to i2s.begin() and start reading data. For testing I'm using the I2SInput example from the Philhower lib, which is about as minimal as a test case could be. BCLK=PIN_WIRE_SDA, LRCLK=BCLK+1, DATA=7.

The problem is, all I get are -1, -1 from the left and right channel. Weirdly, if I try to shut the rp2040 down via the EN pin, I start getting 0, 0 and the sketch just keeps going (see my other post for details). I'm not sure if that is significant or not. No amount of noise in the vicinity of the mic produces any other result in either mode of operation.

I've purchased another mic, thinking that I might have accidentally killed the first one while cleaning up my solder joints, but I'm getting the same results. Any suggestions?

Stain

Re: I2S not working on a Feather rp2040

Post by Stain »

I would like to resurrect this topic. I have acquired a new Feather RP2040, which has a working EN pin. Hooking up the I2S MEMS mic on this feather, exactly as described above, I get nothing but 0s. There's nothing else attached to this feather ATM. Still running the I2SInput example code, the only change being to set the DATA pin to 7 and BCLK to 2.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
MEMS mic only.jpg
MEMS mic only.jpg (987.71 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Stain

Re: I2S not working on a Feather rp2040

Post by Stain »

Oh, and the soldering from the other side
Attachments
MEMS mic only bottom.jpg
MEMS mic only bottom.jpg (325.42 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”