Bitlocker

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
egsgbn

Bitlocker

Post by egsgbn »

Using the Circuit Playground Express with a work PC that has USB bitlocker. It asks to 'encrypt this device using BitLocker Drive Encryption'. If you accept, it feeds back 'The drive is too small to be protected using BitLocker Drive Encryption'. So a catch-22, you cannot use the circuit express with or without to download a program. Does anyone know a way around this? It is a bit of a problem when all the institution's PC's have this BitLocker. Thanks for any help even if it is confirmation that there is no solution.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bitlocker

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

This is the first time I've heard of that specific issue, and I'd guess the two simply aren't compatible.

The UF2 bootloader is a hack that lightly abuses the USB Mass Storage device profile as an interface for the various pieces of memory connected to the microcontroller.

If you have software that actually cares about USB Mass Storage devices, it's very likely the UF2 hack will fail.

egsgbn

Post by egsgbn »

Thanks. I think the memory of 8Mb is too small for the bitlocker to work. I am guessing the minimum will be something like 64Mb. One solution is to turn off bitlockers but this is a solution that is not organizationally acceptable. Another might be to change the group policy so adafruit gets an automatic exemption. The other idea I had is to use a phone to download the file perhaps if another private PC was not available.

egsgbn

Post by egsgbn »

Just wondering whether there are any other ideas?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Bitlocker needs to create a second partition on the disk and install about 1.5GB worth of bitlocker-specific files. The minimum practical size for a bitlocker encrypted disk is about 2 GB. Unless your IT department is agreeable to making an exemption for the CPE, you would need to use a device not subject to the domain policy in order to access the Circuit Playground's virtual storage device.

TI545

Post by TI545 »

I have the same situation with a work computer, bitlocker is required. I have a solution, but it's not convenient. I put ubuntu on a USB stick, and reboot my work computer, waiting for the *interrupt boot* prompt and quickly react. At least with my computer, "boot from USB" is one of the options. Obviously not convenient, because all your work is lost at reboot, so I have to copy all my code to another USB stick before rebooting. (and -- don't let your battery die if you're using a laptop!)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”