How to mount an arduino shield to a box?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gershy13

How to mount an arduino shield to a box?

Post by Gershy13 »

I'm building a project, and I bought a TFT screen, but i made the mistake of buying it in arduino shield form, instead of the one with mounting holes. The exact screen i got is the 2.8" Capacitive TFT shield.

Does anyone know of a good way to mount the screen to a wood or 3d printed box? Ideally id like the front to be as clean as possible without screws visible. So if it could mount from the inside rather than the top that would be great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gershy13

michaelmeissner

Re: How to mount an arduino shield to a box?

Post by michaelmeissner »

There are many different methods.

For example, you could use hook and loop tape (i.e. Velcro [tm] and its various competitors) on the base of your shield, and the box floor, one tape attached to the shield, and one to the box.

Or use double sided tape. Hook and loop is generally better (IMHO).

Often times the depth of the hook and loop allows the solder joins to not block things. Note with solder joins, if your box is metal, watch out for unintended short circuits (i.e. if there are solder joins under the shield, make sure there is a non-conductive material at the base of your device).

You could use monofiliment fishing line to attach to unused pins in your shield, and drill tiny holes to pass the fishing line through.

You could make a base with a clay like substance molded around the shield that fits in the box. Let it harden to hold the display.

You could use an Arduino prototype shield that is meant to attach to the shield. These prototype shields often have mounting holes in them. You would connect the pins that you need via soldering wires to your microprocessor.

Gershy13

Post by Gershy13 »

Thanks! My question with tape or velcro, is wouldnt it move around when used? (as its a touch screen?).
However the arduino prototype shield is a good idea... I didnt know they existed!

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

In terms of tape/velcro, the answer is it depends. Particularly with double sided tape, I find I need to redo it every so often. Even the places where Adafruit uses double sided tape to hold displays to the PCB boards, I find the tape comes loose every so often, particularly in cosplay props that are moved frequently.

In terms of Arduino Prototype shields, I have to imagine there are prototype shields for the Arduino form factor that have mounting holes. I have to admit, I haven't used the classical Arduino form factor in about 10 years, so I really don't know what is out there. The one Adafruit sells doesn't seem to have mounting holes.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”