HDMI 5" 800x480 - HDMI is not detected

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
rockfield_berries

HDMI 5" 800x480 - HDMI is not detected

Post by rockfield_berries »

Hello,

Summary of the issue:
I purchased one HDMI 5" display (product 2260) a couple months back to evaluate and everything works fine with a x86_64 processor running Raspberry Pi Desktop (Bullseye).

We went ahead and purchased 50 for a project, and on this new batch, the HDMI does not seem to identify the same way as the first unit we received.

Details:
I should note the PC board that is running Raspberry Pi OS has an EDP connection that is not being used. It did not do much to interfere with the first screen we tested. I want to make note of that because it seems to show up in the screenshots I provided, showing the currently identified displays.

Basically no configuration was required to get the first display working. It is taking USB power from the PC and when HDMI is connected it can identify that as the primary display.
HDMI identified and the screen shows this desktop
HDMI identified and the screen shows this desktop
HDMI_noissue.png (572.96 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Now with one (of 50) of the new screens... Using the same power source, HDMI cable, and module running Raspberry Pi OS, the HDMI display does not show up and the screen is black. If I try to list any additional displays, there is nothing.
From one of the "new batch" -- no HDMI not identified and nothing shows on the physical screen
From one of the "new batch" -- no HDMI not identified and nothing shows on the physical screen
HDMI_issue.png (593.32 KiB) Viewed 93 times
I have not tested all 50 of the new batch, but five in a row had this same behavior. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Some other (maybe relevant) details: the Grub/boot shows on the new screens OK. Then, when Raspberry Pi OS starts loading, the text is blocky and illegible, then it goes black once the bootup is complete. This does not happen on the first (properly working) screen.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

rockfield_berries

Re: HDMI 5" 800x480 - HDMI is not detected

Adding to this after some exploration:

I guess I was unlucky, because the first 10 I grabbed did not work and I was ready to abandon the whole batch of 50.

Digging deeper into the box, though, I have established that most of them work as expected. 35/50 of them, to be exact.

I also noticed that the ones that failed seemed to be packaged differently. The red bubble wrap was folded very messily and the seal tape had not been removed.
This module did not work
This module did not work
failed_module.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Whereas with the screens that worked as expected, they were tightly wrapped and sealed.
This module worked
This module worked
passed_module.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 90 times
This makes me believe they were packaged by different individuals, likely on different days, and therefore from different batches. Adafruit, please advise on how to resolve the 15/50 defective modules.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Are you explicitly configuring the HDMI output as shown here?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... -pi-config

rockfield_berries

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:34 pm Are you explicitly configuring the HDMI output as shown here?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-5-8 ... -pi-config
Yes, that script has been added to config.txt

Some of the screens are identifying and working properly. As I mentioned above, a good number are not. These are all tested on the same PC with the same cables and power supplies.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_carter

x86_64 processor running Raspberry Pi Desktop (Bullseye).
x86? These aren't actual Pi's? What are these being run on?

rockfield_berries

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:54 pm
x86_64 processor running Raspberry Pi Desktop (Bullseye).
x86? These aren't actual Pi's? What are these being run on?
Hello,
It's a single board PC running Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/ra ... i-desktop/

As I mentioned, many of the screens work fine on this setup. A few of them are having issues identifying themselves over HDMI.

adafruit_support_carter

Let's replace these and also return the 15 non-functioning units.

Send an email to [email protected] and link them to this post. They can replace the 15 HDMI displays. Also ask for an RMA FORPHIL to have the 15 units returned.

rockfield_berries

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:24 pm Let's replace these and also return the 15 non-functioning units.

Send an email to [email protected] and link them to this post. They can replace the 15 HDMI displays. Also ask for an RMA FORPHIL to have the 15 units returned.
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the quick response!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”