5v Trinket Red light dim

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
metalrelic

5v Trinket Red light dim

Post by metalrelic »

When I plug the trinket into my computer, the red light turns on for around 2 seconds, and I am unable to upload any code onto it.
Here is the error
"
Sketch uses 2334 bytes (43%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5310 bytes.
Global variables use 40 bytes of dynamic memory.
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
Failed programming: uploading error: exit status 1
"
I have tried searching this problem online but I just find people complaining about it. Any fixes?

dastels

Re: 5v Trinket Red light dim

Post by dastels »

It's an old board that bit-bangs its USB. There's a deprecation warning about that at the top of the product page:
Deprecation Warning: The Trinket bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Trinket so that people can maintain some older projects, we no longer recommend it. Please check out the Trinket M0. It has built-in USB, more capabilities, and is comparable in price!
Dave

metalrelic

Post by metalrelic »

So is there no way I can fix it? Plus, I can't find anywhere to actually buy the trinket m0. There's 0 in stock on digi-key, adafruit, and unavailable on Amazon. It seems to have been like this for the past two weeks, unless its high on demand.

dastels

Post by dastels »

"Fix it"? No. If you have a 10 year old computer around it should work what that.

As for the Trinket M0, it's a bad time to be looking for chips with the global chip shortage & what not. See https://blog.adafruit.com/2023/01/17/na ... ond-jabil/ for more on that.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”