Flora Pinout doesn't Jive well with recommended LSM303AGR sensor

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Specimen281

Flora Pinout doesn't Jive well with recommended LSM303AGR sensor

Post by Specimen281 »

Hi there,

The Flora LSM303 is discontinued and the website suggested the LSM303AGR. As I started working on a mockup for a wearable using the sparkle skirt tutorial and noticed that the pinouts don't play nice together. The order on both sensor and board kind of force one to have to cross stitches which could lead to glitches I would imagine. Anyone else encounter this issue?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Flora Pinout doesn't Jive well with recommended LSM303AGR sensor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can solve issues like that by coming in along the same line as the pins:
parity.jpg
parity.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 529 times
When you have two parallel lines, turning left or right introduces a property known as 'chiraltity', meaning the mirror images are no longer the same. You can't rotate or shift the version on the left to turn it into the version on the right.

In many cases that loss of symmetry is a nuisance, but it can also be useful for cases like this.

Specimen281

Post by Specimen281 »

I'm not following your example. The pins don't match up...

The LSM303AGR

Pin pattern: VIN / GND / SCL / SDA

Flora Pattern: GND / SCL / SDA / 3.3V

I got it to work briefly by running the SLC line behind the sensor module so it does not intersect the SDA line but was having power issues, so RE-DID it all over again and now when I run the accelerometer test sketch, it acknowledges the test, but cannot talk with the sensor or get readings : - (

SquirrelGirl

Post by SquirrelGirl »

Hi @Specimen281, did you figure out how to connect the LSM303AGR? I also don’t understand how chirality helps to connect the accelerometer to the Flora.

Edit:
circuit diagram with inverted sensor
circuit diagram with inverted sensor
8DFDF466-3706-4D38-973D-D621B01B8363.jpeg (584.54 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Is there any reason I can’t flip the sensor over and connect it face down? That seems to fix the problem. Also, can I use the 3V connection indicated by the dotted line, instead of running the thread around the sensor (hollow line)?

Specimen281

Post by Specimen281 »

I kept having issues, I didn't think to flip it over, that probably would have been better! I ended up soldering stranded wire to the sensor and to the flora. Not ideal, but I'm on a deadline. NOW I'm having issues because the sparkle skirt code hasn't been updated to reflect the use of the LSM303AGR. Trying to figure that part out now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”