Error after flashing circuitpython to ESP32-S2

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dr_donkey

Error after flashing circuitpython to ESP32-S2

Post by dr_donkey »

I have the ESP32-S2 Saola WROVER (https://circuitpython.org/board/espress ... _1_wrover/).
I follow https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... ne-esptool
to install circuitython in the following steps:

* I use esptool.py (on a Pi4) to erase flash which seems to work ('chip erase completed succesfully in 17.3s')
* Then I flash the latest circuitpython for this chip (8.0.4), doing exactly as in the guide:
esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 -z 0x0 write_flash adafruit-circuitpython-espressif_saoloa..[....].bin
The flash terminates succesfully:
('wrote 1371728 bytes ..... at 0.0000....hash of data verified. Leaving... Hard resetting via RTS pin...')

When I open Thonny, selected as interpreter Circuitpython and select the correct port,
I get
invalid header : 0xffffff0f
invalid h�ESP-ROM:esp32s2-rc4-20191025
Build:Oct 25 2019
rst:0x1 (POWERON),boot:0x0 (DOWNLOAD(USB/UART0/1/SPI))
waiting for download

etc etc

Sometimes if I reset the ESP32-S2 by pressing the button, I get:

warning: root: unexpected echo

As I am following the instructions to the letter, what is going wrong, and how can I fix it?
I have tried another version of circuitpython fot this chip (8.0.3) but that made no difference

dr_donkey

Re: Error after flashing circuitpython to ESP32-S2

Post by dr_donkey »

Replying to my own message:

1) I took of the protective foam as suggested in a post on the forum; I did not know it was conductive
After that, a led flashed green every 5 seconds, which is good
2) It turned out that the REPL is not on the uart-usb (as suggested in the documentation) but on the native usb which can be accessed via the GPIO pins. It would be a good idea to clarify this in the documentation.
By connecting via a broken-out USB cable directly to the pins, I could access the REPL and see the esp32-s2 as drive

ishahak

Re: Error after flashing circuitpython to ESP32-S2

Post by ishahak »

More regarding the required wiring can be found in this discussion. I wish it was better clarified in the docs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”