Cannot unclip 3.7V LiPo battery from JST-PH adapter board

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WrinkleWaffle

Cannot unclip 3.7V LiPo battery from JST-PH adapter board

Post by WrinkleWaffle »

I bought the 3.7 LiPo battery (Product ID: 328), which has a JST-PH plug, and the JST-PH 2-Pin SMT Right Angle Breakout Board (Product ID: 1862) to go with it. I have included a photo.

The parts worked fine on the breadboard, but when I tried to unplug the battery from the breakout board, I was completely unable to. Other JST connector types I've used come apart when their nubs or prongs are squeezed, but that hasn't worked with these parts - if there's a "release nub" I either don't recognize it or am not holding it correctly, even after many tries. I've also tried holding on to the plastic plug and the socket with hemostats for a better grip, but that didn't work either. The hemostat also slipped off and scraped the battery wires, and while they don't seem badly damaged, I don't want to risk trying it again.

Has anyone had any luck getting these apart? How did you do it?

At the moment, I am very, VERY disappointed in this purchase. I do not normally use JST connectors as permanent connections and do not believe they are generally intended for that use. If the battery can't be unplugged, then I've spent $15 on a battery that can only be used on a breadboard, and not in the project I bought it for. It can't even be plugged directly into the micro charger I bought (Product ID: 1304), since it can't be unplugged. And since it's a battery, I had to pay UPS rates for shipping!

If anyone has a practical solution, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Attachments
jst-ph.jpg
jst-ph.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 40 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Cannot unclip 3.7V LiPo battery from JST-PH adapter board

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is no locking tab on the PH series connectors. But they do tend to be a tight fit - especially when new. Needle-nose pliers are often helpful.

Here is a more targeted solution:
https://blog.adafruit.com/2023/03/09/js ... dprinting/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”