Noods life span

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Big_Bill

Noods life span

Post by Big_Bill »

I don't see a general sell sheet or data sheet on the Noods. How long will they last? I am thinking of encasing them in epoxy and once there I have no way of replacing them!
Thanks,
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Noods life span

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Typical LED lifetimes are in the 10's to 100's of thousands of hours. That is assuming that they are run at their rated current levels and with normal free-air ventilation. Encasing them in epoxy is going to decrease their heat dissipation capacity. And all else being equal, running hotter will result in a decreased lifespan.

Running them at a lower current level will give you less light output, but an increased lifespan. I'd experiment to find the lowest drive current that gives you sufficient output.

Big_Bill

Post by Big_Bill »

I was only planning on getting their 130mm long kit that runs on a 3 volt battery.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Volts is not the issue (at least not directly). It is the amps that matter.

If you are planning to run it with a 3v CR2302 coin cell, there should not be a problem, since the internal resistance of the coin cell itself will limit the current. With other power sources, it is a good idea to add a resistor in series to limit the current as discussed in the guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/noods-ubergu ... properties

Big_Bill

Post by Big_Bill »

The 3V coin cell is the plan. Thanks for your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”