[SOLVED] nrf52840 sensor: cannot get serial monitor to work with platformio

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tuxbox78

[SOLVED] nrf52840 sensor: cannot get serial monitor to work with platformio

Post by tuxbox78 »

Hello all,
already thanks for any help. Up to now everything in my sketches seems to work. I can program
the board (with platformio using the std nrfutil protocol) . The sketches work and i can control the
glasses with the libs, BUT...

the serial monitoring (Serial object) does not at all seem to work. I tried all the usual initilialization with Serial.begin(115200); and also with waiting for Serial to get ready (with .. while (!Serial) {delay(10);yield();} ) etc.
but i don't get anything ... my desktop machine (a macOS laptop) doesn't even see (in /dev/*) any serial device...
and with waiting for Serial to get ready the setup() never goes on after the wait loop. :(

But i know the device/board itself and my desktop machine can "do" serial monitoring.. as the preinstalled demo
uf2 on the board did provide a serial connection and platformio terminal/serial monitoring printed mic and accel infos as expected (but don't have the sketch code for that demo/preinstalled uf2). So it must be possible and device/board seems ok... i must oversee something....
But in past i developed countless projects with other platforms (pi pico, esp32, esp8266 etc.) and never had this problem.. can somebody please provide some help what could be wrong, i don't get a (ready/working) serial device ?

Thx,
Frank
Last edited by tuxbox78 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dastels

Re: nrf52840 sensor: cannot get serial monitor to work with platformio

Post by dastels »

Do ls /dev/tty* with and without the board connected. If it's connecting you will have an additional device when connected.

What are you using to communicate with the board? screen? minicom? ... Whatever, make sure it's set to the same baud rate.

Dave

tuxbox78

Re: nrf52840 sensor: cannot get serial monitor to work with platformio

Post by tuxbox78 »

Thanks for your try, but as written.. there is no new/additional device when connected in /dev/ or /dev/tty* ..

Only when starting the boot loader with double pressing reset i get the tty modem device in /dev/.
But on normal "run" i don't get any (new/tty) device when the connected board runs the sketch. That's the problem.

So i cannot to connect with screen/minicom or whatever... If i had a serial/tty device in my /dev/ folder all would be great.

tuxbox78

Re: [SOLVED] nrf52840 sensor: cannot get serial monitor to work with platformio

Post by tuxbox78 »

Sorry for the noise.... I got the serial device working now.

Somewhere i read/took a sketch as base where for Serial (that's what comments inside told)
the header of tinyUsb was included (#include <Adafruit_TinyUSB.h> // for Serial)

.. but that - in opposite to what it tells - leads to a non working Serial device.
Without that header and tinyusb not actived explicit all is working fine.. including the Serial object/serial tty device.

Thanks for your patience... ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”