GPS Featherwing stops sending data after ~30 seconds

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fwcipm

GPS Featherwing stops sending data after ~30 seconds

Post by fwcipm »

I recently bought three gps featherwings to do more builds of a successful previous build which included the esp32-s2-tft running CircuitPython. What I built previously has been running successfully for months, so I believe this is a hardware issue.

I am experiencing an issue where the gps stops sending data after about 30 seconds. It may update once or twice after getting a fix and then it will quit completely. When i set "debug=True", sentences are printed until that 30 or so seconds passes and then nothing else is printed again.

My project previously used esp32-s2-tfts, and when wiring up this time around I bought an esp32-s3-tft, but had left over esp32-s2-tfts that I bought the last time. Since I'm using both an s2 that is from months ago and a new s3, and both are experiencing exactly the same issue, I believe the problem lies with the gps featherwing. I even installed the same CP version to the s2 as last time (7.3.0) to see if that was the issue, but no change. I checked all of my soldering and even rewired with different gauges of wire. Nothing changes the outcome.

To test this issue using the simplest setup possible, I took a featherwing and wired it to an esp32-s3 and ran the simpletest example. The exact same issue occurred, after about 1.5 minutes data quit transmitting.

Please advise on what I should do to get these swapped out for working featherwings.
If you want to try to replicate my issue, you just need to take a esp32-s2 (or 3) and wire the 3v, ground, tx, and rx, and run the simpletest. Numbers on the back of my featherwings are 5122 (2) and 2522.

Franklin97355

Re: GPS Featherwing stops sending data after ~30 seconds

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you not just plugging the wing into the feather? And, what are you powering it with?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”