Trinket 5V Output

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WilsonLaunchers

Trinket 5V Output

Post by WilsonLaunchers »

Hello and thank you for your help in advance,

I am working on a new project where I am using a 5V trinket and also attempting to power a Teensy 4.1 with the 5v output from the Trinket.

When I connect the Teensy (Vin,Gnd) pins to the Trinket (5V,Gnd), the Trinket board is showing that it is outputting 5V, however, the red LED begins to pulse rapidly and I don't believe I am receiving a steady power supply to the Teensy. The Teensy board never seems to boot up even though it is receiving 5V from the Trinket

I have also tried connecting the Teensy (Vin, Gnd) pins to the Trinket (USB 5V, Gnd) pins. This stops the red blinking LED but also does not seem to be powering the Teensy. The voltage between the USB 5V and Gnd pins on the Trinket is originally 5V, however, after it is plugged into the Teensy I am recording a reading of 1.9V.

The Teensy that I am using works as expected when it is powered through its (Vin, Gnd) pins while using an external power supply. The issues come when I am attempting to power it off of the trinket.

I have also substituted a brand new Trinket 5V and Teensy 4.1 into my circuitry thinking that it was possibly a fried board but received the same outcome. I'm really starting to beat my head against the wall because it seems like such a simple task of just supplying 5V and Gnd to the Teensy.

Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Trinket 5V Output

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

also attempting to power a Teensy 4.1 with the 5v output from the Trinket.
The output of the 5v pin on the Trinket is not sufficient for powering a Teensy. The regulator is designed to provide enough current for the Trinket plus a little extra for an attached sensor or small display. You will need to find another power source for your Teensy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”