Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB not recognized by computer

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bmakeitso

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB not recognized by computer

Post by bmakeitso »

I purchased two cards (order 3042124-0119766483, placed 3/23), one came up on the computer and loaded filed fine, the other did not. This is using the same cable, so should not be a cable issue. The green light does light up and the unit is not connected to anything. I reconnected to the "good" card and it showed up fine. I have unplugged and replugged the cable without effect. Attached are photos of the device.
Attachments
IMG_4587.jpg
IMG_4587.jpg (132.33 KiB) Viewed 137 times
IMG_4588.jpg
IMG_4588.jpg (137.67 KiB) Viewed 137 times

bmakeitso

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB not recognized by computer

Post by bmakeitso »

Update, neither new board works, the one I connected that worked was an old sound card, which still works fine. It shows up immediately upon connection with the usb cable. One new piece of info is the when the old card is plugged in, there is a red LED on the board that illuminates or sometimes flashes when connected, the other new cards do not do this.

Franklin97355

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB not recognized by computer

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll check with supply and tech to see if there is a problem or fix.

bmakeitso

Post by bmakeitso »

update, I purchased a three pack of data cables (in case I had a funky cable) and results are the same - old card works, new cards don't link with the computer, although the green light is illuminated (same as original cable).

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you clarify what happened between first post and second post.

The one that was mentioned to be working in the first post:
one came up on the computer and loaded filed fine, the other did not.
was actually not a new board?

It sounds like the one mentioned in the first post was actually from an older purchase?
neither new board works, the one I connected that worked was an old sound card, which still works fine

bmakeitso

Post by bmakeitso »

Yes, I have used a number of these and needed to program three cards, one was an old one I used before, two were new ones. All were not connected to anything except the computer (one at a time). I know the old one was working in a sound generating application before I removed it from the application to load new files. I did fall into the feature of using a non data cable to attempt to load new files before reading the forum and finding there are two types of cables (charge and sync), one I used was a charge only cable. I didn’t use the same cable for each unit, hence the difference between the two posts.

bmakeitso

Post by bmakeitso »

Since my project was on hold, I ordered two new boards which just arrived and both behave inconsistently, one will connect to the computer about half the time, the other connects about 20% of the time. Sometimes a red light comes on and stays on, sometimes no red light. Always a green light for all boards. Have tried multiple cables (brand new ones) with the same result. These right out of the bag, didn't even solder anything to them. Given the intermittent nature of this performance, I went back to the original boards that started this thread and they didn't connect to the computer after connecting 10 time each, with two different new cables. I also tried a different USB port with the same inconsistent results.

adafruit_support_carter

I went back to the original boards that started this thread and they didn't connect to the computer after connecting 10 time each, with two different new cables
For these boards, the PC is not reacting at all? No connection sounds or anything?

For the newer boards, when they do connect, you can see the ADAFRUITSFX folder?

bmakeitso

Post by bmakeitso »

another new piece of information. I connected the brand new sound boards to another computer and had a much better success rate in connecting to the pc. ~90% of the time the computer saw the boards. Is there a time I should wait between disconnecting and connecting? I tried connnecting the boards that started this thread and they did not connect, no change there.

bmakeitso

Post by bmakeitso »

The boards that started this thread are not recognized by the computer at all - no beep, no Adafruit folder showing up. The green light does light up on all boards tested. The newer boards behave similar to the old board I have, they go "beep" and the Adafruit folder shows up. As stated, these newest boards are inconsistent in that regard, sometimes they show up and sometimes not. On another computer, they show up more consistently (estimated 90% of the time). I can use the other computer for loading files. It may be that I need to wait a fixed period before trying to reconnect, haven't tried that yet to see if it improves the connection on the alternate computer. Time between connections didn't seem to matter on my baseline computer. Both run windows 10.

adafruit_support_carter

The inconsistent behavior with the one board is weird. In general, should be fine to just plug it whenever. It could be a USB cable issue.

Let's send you a replacement for the board that started this thread. That way you'll have another board to check behavior with.

Reply back to your [email protected] email and link them back to this thread. They can send you a replacement Audio FX Board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”