Measuring potato "launcher" combustion chamber pressure

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MorkBlart909

Measuring potato "launcher" combustion chamber pressure

Post by MorkBlart909 »

I am building a potato "launcher" with my kids and (purely for fun) would love to figure out a way to measure the pressure that builds in the combustion chamber during use. I am most interested in the max pressure, but ideally would be able to log and visualize the full process (ambient, spike, release). I am thinking of something like a sensor board that would sit on the outside of the device with a lead/tube going into the combustion chamber. I have a few Arduinos and Pis around I could use for supplying voltage and reading output.

This ported sensor (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3965) seems close to the right idea, but I think the max pressure (25psi) is too low. I probably need closer to 100 psi. Ported or not, most air pressure sensors I am finding seem to be oriented to ambient and near ambient pressure ranges.

Any ideas? Maybe there is a sensor out there rugged enough to sit inside the chamber? Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Measuring potato "launcher" combustion chamber pressure

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

100PSI rated sensors designed for automotive oil pressure are available from many sources online. They typically have a 0-5v analog output signal and a 1/8"NPT threaded port.

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

If this is a combustion based "device" I'm betting 100 PSI is too low.

MorkBlart909

Post by MorkBlart909 »

Thank you @adafruit_support_bill!

The insight to look in the automotive space yielded a ton of options, just as you alluded to.

@millercommamatt thanks for your idea. My intuition would have been higher as well, but I picked 100 psi based on this fascinating paper https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD1015616.pdf where (if I did the conversion right) the max pressure observed was around 87psi. That was with acetylene! With the other fuels the pressures were much lower.
In any case, I wound up ordering a sensor which can go higher in case my circumstances are different from theirs. Thanks for the contribution!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”